Goblin, Dragon (3D), (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2002
Whistler2k and EpShot,
Yeah, it's mainly blendshapes. The only things that aren't are the jaw, neck and eyelids. I bound those to their own joints for better control. Also... it works better to bind things like the jaw and eyelids because tou can simply rotate them to get a radial transition instead of the linear on you get w/ blends.

Rob3D31,
??????

Thanx

07 July 2002
Thanks for posting this stuff!

And again, this mpeg looks sooo sweeeet!!!

07 July 2002
Dragon- I just wanted to tell you that you changed my life as an aspiring 3D artist.

Your tutorial "Modeling the Dave way" is THE catalyst that helped me transition from a traditional artist to a 3D artist. All the tutorials I've read prior to yours didn't "sing" to me the way yours did. And I've read literally hundreds of tutorials.

I'm now in the production of my first 3D project--one that will take 2 years to complete. I'm working on this project full-time(quit my job), and I'll be posting the progress here as I complete segments.

Your tutorial was like a revelation, and if I'm ever in your neighborhood, or you in mine, I'm buying all the beer you can drink!

BTW, I could never access your site, or anthing linked to your site(does this mean the images you posted this time are hosted elswhere?). My current location prevents me from seeing a lot of websites. The problem is on my end. I'm just glad that your tutorial was posted elsewhere, or I would never have seen it.

07 July 2002
uh, WOW. there's a lot to be learned from your threads. keep it up, man!

07 July 2002
Thanx guys,

Lunatique,
I'm glad the tut helped you out. I looked at your site... and if you can reproduce your 2d skills in 3d then your gonna be one of the greats . You've got some really nice stuff there. I can't wait to see how this project of yours turns out.

Jeff Unay,
Thanx. I love your Cy-Gor character. A guy at work has the McFarlane toy of it on his desk and I have to admit... it's one of my favorites.

Take care,

07 July 2002
Top stuff! really impressed. did you use a 3d paint prog for the texturing? This is really cool, the timing in the animation is also spot on, as are the expressions. Does anyone agree that this guy should have spectacles?
On the ear flapping suggestion - look at Yoda in episode II as his ears flap a little after sudden movements. Bravo!

07 July 2002

just sitting in front of my monitor and .. praying :-)

07 July 2002
Hey Dragon, nice work you've got there.. ^_^ My jaw dropped when I saw that wonderful animation clip of yours. I've got to hand it to you, you really got great talents... Your modeling and animation skills are superb. ^_^ Well done, please keep up the good work.

If you have time out of your busy schedule, I think it would be great if you can do a tutorial just on how to do Blend Shapes , and how you went about in creating those amazing facial expressions. That would be really really super... ^_^

This is kind of a side thing, but I have a question related to Rigging my character, because I've got no replies from any other forums. Maybe it's complicated, but probably you've come across it..

My problem is do you know if there is a plugin or a mel script that controls the COG or the pelvis...for example, when the COG rotates, the whole body doesn't rotate with it, so it will be easy for me to make the "Contra Posta" pose. Because I already animate a run cycle, and I need to adjust and give more rotations to the COG.. but then if I do that.. I have to adjust many upper body rotations as well? If you know how, please give me some guides... Thank you very much Dave.. ^_^

07 July 2002
wooooooooooow
Great work
u r the master.

07 July 2002
Not that I'm allowed an opinion around here since y'all laugh at my pathetic tinkerings... but....

My ONLY crits on this thing is one (apart from a rendering-technical one which has to do with how bumpmaps work and stuff I dont have the strength to elaborate and is a crit not specific to this anim but generic up to and including SWEp2) is that the guy is kinda overacting

I am still waiting for that *subtle* marlon brando facial expression anim... you now where the guy goes from bewildered to confused to happy to sad to ..... with only miniscule changes of the corners of the eyes and 1mm of eyebrow movement.

But other than that, BRILLIANT stuff. Really.

/Z

07 July 2002
This deserves more views

/Z

07 July 2002
Congratulations !! Its a wonderfull model and animation.
One question.
How do you make the hair ? with poligons ? or with the maya fur ?

Bye !! And have a good luck with 3D !!!

07 July 2002
I love it, I love it, I love it

then i downloaded the mpeg... ouch ! got to get myself back up on my chair :xtreme:

Thread Closed share thread