Squishy (and Girl), Stahlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2003
Thumbs down cool

Hmm.. this place looks so cool.. Good work!

06 June 2003
I really like the idea... and conduct too! Great

Reel on Vimeo: Reel 2011

06 June 2003
Wow, stalhberg, your work is really amazing... i see your work in expose.. REALLy that piece worth the frontpage... =)

06 June 2003
lol he says all photoshop as usual and somebody asks what software he used two posts later. anyway i like it save for the criticisms everyone mentioned. the arm and body definitely are too separated. I just love the way she's using him like a flashlight in the sewer though. Very nice imagination. love the way his pinkie is extended onhis right hand since he's holding the delicate umbrella lol

06 June 2003
Just ading to an already long list of accolades.

06 June 2003
The lighting has it!!

I wonder what it would look like if the hue values were experimented with...hmmm

Silverchair - Diorama

06 June 2003
amazing

comment: expose2 cover

06 June 2003
Very cool, gets the viewer talking and thinking about it and what is happening.

06 June 2003
Great way to get rid of a migrane! or a hangover!

Beautiful job!!

Looks like a great story idea.

Desire and commitment are the fuel which propels us to achieve greatness

06 June 2003
Excellent work. I really like the proportions of large hand/wrist it works; there is no 'correct' anatomy...it may look different, but who knows how big a 12 foot glowing headed guys' bones grew ...tho' i do have trouble with the transition between bicep and deltoid.
I think the lighting is fantastic too, Your use of light and shadow is always very well done. the steam has a great feel. the pipes/tubing work well too, but the one leading our eye back to the girl from his hand looks too prominant, but that is probably just me- like every thing else here, just my worthless opinion. Great work... have you started modelling it yet?

Last edited by illustr8rX : 06 June 2003 at 03:02 AM.

06 June 2003
Thanks everyone! I find all comments useful, both positive and negative ones.
Negatives mentioned in more than one post include the proportions of the guy, the age of the girl, weird background, backstory, biceps, composition.

The proportions of the guy: well she has to sit on his shoulders, with her hands in the center of his brain, so his shoulders have to be huge but his head has to be not so huge... I guess his hands don't need to be so huge.
Age of the girl: I was trying to make big breasts, but first the shadow from the apron ended up all over them, and then when I added the smoke... well. I'll make her face look older. I was going for contrast between the characters, probably too simplistic.
The background wasn't very important to me, I just thought cables would be cool and not so hard to do... I'll try rain, to match the umbrella, see what that looks like.
The backstory: (well mine anyway... please post your own if you like) I imagined he was a beast of burden, perhaps with some defensive/offensive capabilities, controlled by direct contact with the brain instead of some dumb leather harness or something.
About the composition, I agree and I think the main problem is the shadow I put on his shoulders/upper arm, deltoids - if I put light on the deltoids there will be a better flow.
(And I'll make the big toe smaller too.)
edit: No I haven't started modeling, not sure if I ever will because I usually don't... that other one, was the first time I ever did one finished 2d piece and then a 3d from it... I'll most likely do it again, just not sure if it will be this particular image.

I used Photoshop 5.0 with a Wacom Intuos tablet. I did read one book on PS many years ago, but there wasn't anything about painting in that one. I have a cloud painting tut on my site, that shows pretty much how I use the brush (very simple, don't expect too much). For PS painting also check out Craig Mullins, he's the best.

Last edited by Stahlberg : 06 June 2003 at 03:38 AM.

06 June 2003
DUDE, I am speechless as usual m8!

Awsome composition, and use of color.

Superb.

06 June 2003
Slayer

Is she a slayer of some kind? Very interesting stuff, I would change the large hand to something else, of course I don't know what and I could make a picture 1/100 th as good, but it would be interesting to see a version 2.0 with a different umbrella holder, perhaps a good glowing angel...

06 June 2003
is there a special reason that you use Photoshop 5?

personally i think photoshop6 is the best workflow.

06 June 2003
I tried 6 briefly at another company I used to work at, and hated the way they moved everything around (as usual, but even more than usual). After that I never bothered trying to get used to it, I just use the app I'm comfortable with. Lazy I know, maybe one day I'll learn how to use version 8 or 9...

Last edited by Stahlberg : 06 June 2003 at 06:25 AM.

Thread Closed share thread