New Forum Evocative

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2003
what`s about corporate design ?

First off all I`d like to congratulate the cg-community to this great new forum.
I read the article by Dr. Snoswell and the FAQ`s but one point is unclear to me. As I understand, this forum`s critique should help to maximise an artwork`s impression on the viewer. I am developing a new corporate design at work for another company and this job is the most important one i ever had yet.
Corporate design LIVES by the feelings of a viewer / customer. they (most) instinctively decide whether the want to start a business connection or not.
So, the effect is most important.
And that is my question: Is EVOCATIVE the right place for me to discuss about the cd`s development or not ?
As i said - this job is really important and i can`t even say if i can post everything. If its not the right one please don`t feel offended and delete the post.
thanks in forward

10 October 2003
I think this is an excellent idea.

Whilst there is no doubt, I find technical help useful, the "final push" for me is how to make an image 'feel right'.

Turning a nice 'product' shot of a room, into an atmospheric one.
The room becomes homely, or sinister based on the mood.

Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

10 October 2003
Great! it's that what was missing on CgTalk, feeling been portrait is the goal of every one called artist, and if it was easy, the front page would be thumbnails only.

10 October 2003
Hehe, sorry, but from my experience, corporate design lives by how much money was pumped into marketing and branding. And I have serious doubts about any design being able to pull a shrewd businessman into a business connection on its own merit. Of course you can always find a sucker who would be impressed with a letterhead, but that doesn't sound like the audience you are going for.

Don't let marketing people tell you they failed because the logo you designed wasn't "emotional" enough. Kick them in the balls for me if they do and tell them to work harder next time

Just pay attention to basic color theory, proportions, and common sense marketing principles and your designs will turn out just fine.

As a very simple experiment, try this: pick up any corporate design (brochure, letterhead, etc) from a company you don't know and never heard of before and see if you get a strange emotional "pull" to give them your money and do business with them.

I rest my case.

- Shadowrover

10 October 2003
Oops, forgot to mention, if you really want that account, find out anything you possibly can about the tastes of the decision-maker: what car he/she drives, clothes, what he/she likes and dislikes. Design accordingly. You can't please everyone and no matter how sound your designs are it's all going to boil down to your potential customer liking your work.

Welcome to the wonderful world of corporate design, where he who has the biggest wallet is the one who will make or break your design.

There, now I can't be accused of being unhepful.

Best of luck,

- Shadowrover

10 October 2003
I applaud CGTalk for the creation of this forum.

For too long, CG has been judged on Technical skill alone. If the work produces an emotion - then it has served it's purpose.

Let the good-times roll!

10 October 2003
Quote: That would be design & craft......

True they are, but they still go towards making a connection. Things like tilting the camera, destroying tangents layering elements, picking colors, etc. are all important aspects of creating an image that is attractive to look at, outside of being emotionally moving. My point was that the emotional content of a piece is an important, oft times over looked, aspect of making good art.

Quote: Now it has the possibility of becoming 'Art'

Even without the emotional content, it's got a "possiblity of becoming art". However without the emotional push it's got far less chance of becoming a powerful, moving and effective piece of art.

Quote: ... is this legal talk?

No, it's a conjunction.

Quote: *replace with the appropriate noun of your choosing..

Okay... *potato-sack.

Last edited by imphead : 10 October 2003 at 10:56 PM.

10 October 2003
Good idea!

Last edited by muckywetnoodle : 10 October 2003 at 09:09 PM.

10 October 2003
Man, I'm gone for a day and what do I miss? (Not like studying for that test helped much)

I think it's great that you made this forum, and it will certainly help out all of us. What many people complaining here seem to forget, is that you can submit your image to more than one gallery, and focus on different aspects of the image in different threads.

Great job, guys! This one is going to fun to browse as well...

10 October 2003
this will be my favorite forum for my future works! i love how cgtalk thinks of everything!

10 October 2003
Re: what`s about corporate design ?

Quote: Originally posted by Protoplasma
First off all I`d like to congratulate the cg-community to this great new forum.
Corporate design LIVES by the feelings of a viewer / customer. they (most) instinctively decide whether the want to start a business connection or not.
... And that is my question: Is EVOCATIVE the right place for me to discuss about the cd`s development or not ?
thanks in forward

Yes you can post here -- but, you would have to give quite a bit of contect about your customer, the market they are in, the current image fassion for the market and what their goals are.

Actually -- its really far more a design excercise than an artistic endeavour... because... In corporate work you are really heavily constrained by all the factors I just mentioned. .. and worst of all is (often) an uneducated and unresonable client who thinks they know more than anyone else when in fact they know far less.

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

10 October 2003
Cool Holy toledo...

And here I was just a couple days ago starting a thread in General Discussions talking about how CGtalk is all technical and never gets into the emotional/creative side of things... I was starting to feel not only truly saddened that it was so left out, but actually afraid to mention those aspects of my own work, since there seemed to be no place here for it to be appreciated...

No more! Now this is what I'm talkin about! Boo-yah!

10 October 2003
Though I really enjoyed the extremely well-written article, I think i'm pretty much the only one who thinks this is a bad idea. You mustn't seperate emotional/evocative art from just a well rendered 2d paiting or 3d model. Sure i agree that the two are totally different, but if you're gonna make an entire forum for it you're pretty much only gonna get angsty teens trying to be deep, and often with poorly made art (sorry if i sound a bit elitist there). I wonder if anyone agrees with me on this, and even if anyone actually reads until this page instead of just commenting to say its a great idea.

share thread