Login register
  share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-27-2003, 02:55 PM   #16
aurora
Riding the LWave

Tim Dunn
Software Eng/Freelance Graphics
USA

This is perfect timing and will be of great use for all of us working on the Alienware contest!

Old 10-27-2003, 03:01 PM   #17
MindShell
Veteran
Jessi
none thus far at least one i can be proud of.
Canada

personally i think how a single given artist expresses him/her self in thier work is a form of art in it self. thus making this forum really bleek but it will help some no doubt so by all means go forth with it.

interesting idea.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:04 PM   #18
MarkSnoswell
Mad Scientist

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Dr Mark A Snoswell
CGSociety President
Ballistic Media Pty Ltd
Mylor, Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_Rooth
Hi Mark
But, I also think that in 3D it should be possible to admire a model for its own sake, i.e. its shape and form, proportion etc. without feeling that it must necessarily be textured, put into scene, tell a story or whatever.
Alex Rooth

True -- there is a place for sheer technical excellence, no question... but that's not in short supply. It's the very soul of the image we are concerned with here. It's all about how an image reaches out and says something to the viewer.

Even the most technical images can be enhanced when presented with the correct "mood" lighting, and in the right environment. I should post an example of some architectural images and note the things you can do to make even these quite evocative!

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #19
Equinoxx
Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Yves Adam
3d Designer
Rotterdam, Netherlands

See, this is exactly why I love CGTalk,always trying to improve upon itself in order to help users advance themselves into creative and, more important, Solid artists.

This is definitely gonna be the Forum where I am gonna post my latest project which a select few have allready seen{ey leigh ]

also, that article alone made me rethink one or two things about my final still.

excellent guys.

big thumbs up.

Yves

Old 10-27-2003, 03:09 PM   #20
mattregnier
Modern Day Superhero

Matt Regnier
Technical Director
LucasArts
USA

So how's this forum going to differ from the "focused critique" section. I mean that was started with great intents and then after being around for 6 months, posts like "dude that's awesome" or "whoa r0x0rs dude" are still the norm. People don't post 3/4 views, wireframes, or even software the piece was created in. We get submissions like a website and the author chooses still not to say what they want critiqued. Did that forum serve it's purpose?

But I have just seen the answer to the problems addressed with the Focused Critique forum, and here it is, just make another forum, call it a snappy name and say you'll moderate it heavily...

Really guys, I think we just need to crack down on these people who don't follow rules, a little warning here/there just doesn't cut it anymore.

Any suggestions?

Old 10-27-2003, 03:09 PM   #21
Leonard
Jedi Master

portfolio
Leonard Teo
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by Bliz
is there a forum order we should be posting images to get critiqued? What I mean is, is it o.k. to post an image on this forum without first posting it anywhere else on cgtalk or would you rather people submitted the picture to 'focused critiques' first to get the tecnical issues ironed out?

I assume once it's been through this forum, a piece would go to it's relative 2D or 3D 'Finished Works' forum?

And another question (sorry, just trying to get this stuff clear in my head) will front page plugs come from this forum or just the 'finished works' forums?

Hi Bliz,

Questions questions questions!

1. is there a forum order we should be posting images to get critiqued?
A. It depends on what sort of critique you want. For general critiques on WIP, post in the WIP forums. Evocative focuses squarely on creating imagery that expresses emotion. So the type of crits you'll get here are the "big picture" type crits - not really delving into the technical details of how to do it with a particular software package.

2. I assume once it's been through this forum, a piece would go to it's relative 2D or 3D 'Finished Works' forum?
A. That is up to you. Mark's intention for this forum is to raise the overall awareness in the community for creating this type of imagery, and we hope that people who take part in this forum will improve by leaps and bounds. We also hope that this will generate some awesome artwork for EXPOSE' 2 and beyond.

3. will front page plugs come from this forum or just the 'finished works' forums?
A. Front page plugs come from anywhere on the forums.

L.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #22
Leonard
Jedi Master

portfolio
Leonard Teo
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally posted by mattregnier
So how's this forum going to differ from the "focused critique" section. I mean that was started with great intents and then after being around for 6 months, posts like "dude that's awesome" or "whoa r0x0rs dude" are still the norm.

But I have just seen the answer to the problems addressed with the focused critique forum, and here it is, just make another forum and say you'll moderate it heavily...really guys, I think we just need to crack down on these people who don't follow rules, a little warning here/there just doesn't cut it.

Any suggestions?

Hi Matt,

This is really the first part of a new process that we hope will raise the level of professionalism on CGTalk. Although some of us abhor the fanboy posts, a recent poll that we did revealed that about 50% of CGTalkers actually liked them.

The temporary solution is that the Serious Critique forums will be for serious, focused discussions and appraisals on work, while the general WIP/Critique forums are more generalised forums, which we will clean up shortly.

The core difference between Evocative and the Focused Critiques is that Evocative homes in on one core aspect of the art - that is emotive expression - which we found was extremely lacking in the 1400+ EXPOSE' 1 entries. Evocative is a macro level forum where suggestions and critiques will be made on a high level rather than the nitty gritty technicalities.

Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions about what this forum is about.

Leonard.

Old 10-27-2003, 03:31 PM   #23
JamesMK
Flipping bits

portfolio
James Kaufeldt
Freelancer
Triassic Asylum
Kalmar, Sweden

This is an excellent idea that will most likely raise the bar for critiques as well as the artwork being 'processed' herein - if everything works out.

This macro level property of art is what it's all about in the end. I also strongly believe that people will never be able to excel in their work until they have transcended beyond the technical aspects of 3D in particular.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 10-27-2003, 04:00 PM   #24
sasquatch
Fon Zolo

David Smith
Modeler, Character TD
SCEE
London, United Kingdom

Oo, somewhere to hide from the dread phrase WIREZ PLZ. This has arrived at a good time for me; I'm in the early stages of a new project that'll benefit no end from some critical input.

Finally a chance to critique ideas and intentions rather than bleedin' polygons.

My Site (finally up and running)

Old 10-27-2003, 04:33 PM   #25
Garma
No light please, thanks

It will stay hidden.
Student
Delft, Netherlands

oh by the way does someone know good books or a couple of websites about this stuff? The article was great but too short I've had some of this in college but i'd like to know more about it.

Old 10-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #26
BRUTICUS
Expert

portfolio
Mike
CG Generalist
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via ICQ to BRUTICUS
im working on an animation for my thesis project. I've done most the models and have done the storyboards. Would it be a good idea to post my storyboards and maybe get tips as to the emotion that should be portrayed before I start animating?

Old 10-27-2003, 06:23 PM   #27
mattregnier
Modern Day Superhero

Matt Regnier
Technical Director
LucasArts
USA

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonard

Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions about what this forum is about.

Leonard.

Leo-

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I do wish you all luck in this new endeavor, and I know the benefits will greatly outweigh the complications.

-Matt

Old 10-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #28
Tim Deneau

Awesome, I'm excited to see where this forum goes.

Critiquing storyboards is a good idea.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #29
Atwooki
Visionary™

portfolio
Chris Baker
Modeler Texture Artist
London, United Kingdom

Evocative, emotional, humerous???

Phew!

About time, and what a great idea, Mark!!!

CGer's aside, this should help pry open the redundant 'third eyes' of the (non)admiring masses.....

Atwooki

Old 10-27-2003, 07:56 PM   #30
E.T
Doodler

Eric Thunfors
Freelance Designer
www.thunfors.com
stockholm, Sweden

Great idea!
I think this Forum is very much needed.

None of my clients are interested in the technical stuff behind a picture.
They dont care if i modelled all of swedens population from a torus, or if i imported them from poser.

What matters to them is: what does the picture communicate?
Does it communicate?

I used to be an Art Director (Advertising) and when i bought photograpy, illustrations or for that matter pure 3D, i tended to not go for technically perfect stuff.
Anyone can with time/practice/talent become technically skilled.

What sets the great artists apart from the merely good ones seems more intangible.

So i really hope this could be the place to post pitcures that are almost there.

share thread