CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Evocative
Login register
  share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 10-27-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
New Forum – Evocative

Howdy everyone,

We've just started a new CGTalk forum called "Evocative", which Mark Snoswell talks about in detail here:
Read the article

In a nutshell, Evocative is a serious, focused critique forum for everyone to learn how to present or 'evoke' emotion in your existing artwork.

Before posting, please read the article to get a better understanding of what this forum is for.

Old 10-27-2003, 12:01 PM   #2
Hi Mark

I think this is an interesting article and I think it worth emphasizing the point that pictures are enhanced when they provoke some sort of emotion in the viewer.

But, I also think that in 3D it should be possible to admire a model for its own sake, i.e. its shape and form, proportion etc. without feeling that it must necessarily be textured, put into scene, tell a story or whatever.

Expose 1 does have one or two models that are not textured and in a way I don't think the car (and architectural) renders that appear are intended to evoke any particular emotion, except maybe admiration for their realism and the skill that has gone into doing them. I hope that Expose 2 will also have a place for such models and renders.

Best regards

Alex Rooth
Old 10-27-2003, 02:00 PM   #3
No light please, thanks
It will stay hidden.
Delft, Netherlands
eyyy very good idea this forum. This one's gonna be one hell of an inspiration source for me.

consider me subscribed
Old 10-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #4
on top of the world
Elvar Bjarki Böðvarsson
This is definetly a forum I will get new wallpapers off

one thing, I doubt that many will actually post here to begin with so it would be great if mods would move extremely inspiring and well done works from the wip forum to this one, just to get this one started
My current projects on cgtalk:

My recently finished short, and a poster for it, hurray
My first real attempt at texturing

Work in Progress:
My office bloke
Old 10-27-2003, 02:06 PM   #5
Mad Scientist
CGSociety Member
Dr Mark A Snoswell
CGSociety President
Ballistic Media Pty Ltd
Mylor, Australia
This is THE place for people to hone their skills in creating truly stunning imagery -- images that have great artistic and commercial value!

It will get every bit of attention that I can give it to help people hone their skills. Dramatically improve the appeal of your work -- and you stand a way better chance of getting published in in film, TV and of course books like EXPOSÉ 2.

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:09 PM   #6
First Prime of Anistropic
Jason Dexter
Lighting/Rendering/Pipeline TD
Providence, USA
Ahh great... another freaking forum for me to spend too much time checking... no really this is a great idea and I hope that it helps to improve the "art" of my work and the community as a whole. Good idea Mark!
(Sans Gerfuffle)

On a VFX Hiatus
Old 10-27-2003, 02:11 PM   #7
Joseph Harford
United Kingdom
Send a message via MSN to JHarford

excellent should be an invaluable resourse
Portfolio & Blog :
Follow me on Twitter : @Harford
Old 10-27-2003, 02:11 PM   #8
Harald Oesterle
Vienna, Austria

I hope there will be a lot of input soon wherefrom i can learn to improve my pictures =)
Good idea, I hope people will use it a lot
Old 10-27-2003, 02:12 PM   #9
Send a message via ICQ to iwask
Red face

hey Mark I agree more with you

I'm sorry I make a mistake.I know your meaning now.
Thank you for your idea and help,MARK ;-)

Last edited by iwask : 10-28-2003 at 09:29 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:15 PM   #10
Mad Scientist
CGSociety Member
Dr Mark A Snoswell
CGSociety President
Ballistic Media Pty Ltd
Mylor, Australia
Re: New Forum – Evocative

Hi .. I hope you're all starting by reading the article and not just jumping in and engaging your mouths before brains ...

Read the article

Mark Snoswell. President, The CGSociety. Director, Ballistic Media.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:25 PM   #11
intermediate object
Carlos Lin
Wellington, New Zealand
mmm hehe cool, I was wondering what that maintanance break was, happening at this time of night in Australia...

I'm really looking forward the seeing the new images and reading the comments in this forum (/me subscribes in anticipation), it's sounds like a great way to get some variation from the mostly technical style of critiques in the forums

(hey, it'd be cool if there was a button or something to move your thread in between the forums to try and control the type of feedback you received for different stages of the work... so you could work on technical aspects of a model in the WIP or focussed critique forum, and then move the thread over to here for more artistic crits).

hmm, and the way the main CGTalk page has been recatagorised looks neat too
Old 10-27-2003, 02:29 PM   #12
CGSociety Staff
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
I'm greatly looking forward to seeing the work submitted here for critique

Please bear in mind that this forum, like the Focused Crits forum, will be heavily moderated - the purpose of this forum is to make great work even more fabulous, so that means no rabble, guys!

Now let's make some art
Old 10-27-2003, 02:32 PM   #13
Maya Genin
- -
this is it

lately i have been running out of good ideas and been wondering why i haven't been creative. after reading this article of yours i realized that i have been stuck in that technical world (oh man i gotta makesomething that looks really cool hdri this and global gi that)...but i always had no idea what to make...and NOW after reading this, at this moment, alot of ideas just sparked in my head.. i have written them and drawn them on paper already..but i just want to say thank you for that intro article, because it opened up my creativity again.

Last edited by orgee : 10-27-2003 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:35 PM   #14
Miroslav Petrov
concept artist
Masthead studios
Sofia, Bulgaria
Send a message via ICQ to SoulSurvivor
Great idea to create a forum, which gives you the time that you
can express your feelings.I agree with evreyrthing.
"For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."
Old 10-27-2003, 02:53 PM   #15
pixel pushing since 1989
Anthony Rosbottom
HotGen Ltd.
London, United Kingdom
Send a message via ICQ to Bliz Send a message via MSN to Bliz
Seems like a good idea to fight the 'Hey, you just press some buttons on that computer and pretty pictures come out'mis-conception but I'm a bit confused - is there a forum order we should be posting images to get critiqued? What I mean is, is it o.k. to post an image on this forum without first posting it anywhere else on cgtalk or would you rather people submitted the picture to 'focused critiques' first to get the tecnical issues ironed out?

I assume once it's been through this forum, a piece would go to it's relative 2D or 3D 'Finished Works' forum?

And another question (sorry, just trying to get this stuff clear in my head) will front page plugs come from this forum or just the 'finished works' forums?

Basically what I'm getting at is will this forum and the 'finished' forums operate in parallel and independant to each other or serially as part of a process.

I think that's it for today.....=]-

Last edited by Bliz : 10-27-2003 at 02:55 PM.
  share thread