Android Blues - character

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2004
Hmm. I liked her hair down actually, gives her more of that robot look. The arm is a bit thick or comes too up front, I dont know, but theres just something that feels off there.. Could just be me, but I thought Id mention it.
Also, the shadows from the thigh and leg (left side of pic) look too big, like it's just too much shadow there.
And personally, I wouldn,t use the chalk lines, the neon blur thing works really well, just less of it, if you made the entire canvas a bit taller and placed it in top, I think that would come out pretty well. Reminds me a bit of ghost in the shell
Other than that, no comments - love the pic and feel

07 July 2004
i think the hair is better pulled back. upon seeing the face i felt more inclined to empathize with the subject than i would if the hair covered the face (and therefore the piece is more emotive in my mind), and makes the subject appear more human, delving on the subject of whether she is human or not.

however, with the hair covering the face, it conveys emotions of shame and escape (if i cant see you, you cant see me), all of which are very human in their origins.

however obvious the sexual connotations might be in this image, i believe they contribute to the emotion of the piece overall, but dont determine the subject matter.

theres quite a few signifiers i this piece but im sure theyve all been stated before. so thats my input for now. keep the discussion going, its a great piece.

07 July 2004
a late post

Sorry, I may be a bit out of the topic, but the deep despair , ""suicidal tendence" and freezing blue color help me remeber a picture from Gunnm (battle angel alita)
just a little brand of hair on her face would be the middle between the doll aspect she gives me now and the "messed-up toys" she was in the first post.
maybe a glimps on a piece of furniture like a bed in the down left corner would had a "jail" feeling to the picture (but might unfortunately emphasize the "prostitute" feeling a few thought of)
mechanical pieces like in the first picture posted would also look fine for me , even a bit of her lost arm coming from the shadow.
aniway the picture look awesome andreally inspire me a strong feeling of despair, and her skin more than the mechanical arm make her look like the waste of a forgotten/ran away doll. (i read too much science-fiction i guess)

07 July 2004
very good development as always. i think it talks about giving up trying to improve the actual situation.

07 July 2004
i like the slouched posture of the andriod's body. I think it contrasts well with people's usual conception of a robot.

Cmaddness
Xbox Live! Gamertag

07 July 2004
steven, any chance of a wallpaper size version?

will geddes
graphic design | advertising
portfolio

07 July 2004
No, sorry... so nice of you to ask, I feel like a jerk for not being able to send you one. But there's only this one low-res version for now. Maybe later I might up-res it if I have time...

07 July 2004
Awesome concept Steven. However the right foot looks "odd" to me in both versions... in the original version it looks like she has thick ankles, while in the second her foot looks flat.. like it is missing some volume or the perspective is wrong. I think the latter is the case.

Love the peek at her face in the second version though. That being said, this is overall a terrific piece, I get a feeling of hopelessness when I look at it... like she has just given up.

Bil

Last edited by Bil : 07 July 2004 at 08:10 PM.

07 July 2004
Psychologically speeking, emotions are stored in the body. We all recognize this unconsciously far better than we do consciously. That said, a viewer understands what a slouched posture means emotionaly.

I don't think you need to show the face to convey the emotions you want. (in fact I think they communicate pretty well as is) I think the main problem you're having is that you don't have a shoulder to accentuate the slouch (give it that final little tweek of meaning). But the further you've been 'pushing the posture' on the rest of the body, the clearer it becomes what she's feeling.

personally, I think it's pretty clear. I feel bad for her. it's like she's getting rained on too!

08 August 2004
Sadness from the hanging head. Confusion from the absence of the arm yet presence of a screwdriver.

08 August 2004
this reply should be in the focused crit.. but...
DAMN YOUR SKIN SHADING!!!
never better.

08 August 2004
stephen,

its a great composition,
in my opinion, the nudity distracts from intented emotion of the piece... her clothes etc indicate her intelligence (and her capacity for experiencing melancholy)... theres a certain schoolgirl look about her which doesn't make me really empathise with her (hey maybe there are alot of schoolgirls who might disagree) but to me it suggests shes more "sad" than melancholic... it puts a visible limit on the depth and maturity of her emotion and makes me feel uncomfortable with empathising with her.... I'd personally go for either more clothes, or stylising it a bit (a leg band perhaps.. a symbolic tattoo..) to indicate to the viewer that they shouldn't be placing any preconceptions as to her scenario (prostitute?) because she obviously is from another time/place...

you're right about showing the face, however using the hairband is imho a bad device for achieving this... i doubt she would have the drive to pin her hair back like that if she is melancholic... Assuming she has recently lost her arm, there would probably have been some kind of struggle which would have loosened her hair from its tie, and I doubt she would have pinned it up after losing her arm (generally speaking, tying my hair up is the last thing i'm thinking about when i lose my arm.... especially when its on a side of my head which is awkward to pin back using my one good arm....) I've put on half/half so you can see the face subtly enough to just get an idea of what she looks like, but no so much that it seems forced...

this is totally subjective here, but i'd like to see her focus her blues on something visible (so I can *see* what she is thinking about). As it stands, her blues are hidden in her mind... her staring at something in her hand gives me the feeling that there is another action about to take place... its not empty despair, but despair which will lead to some further action.. (personally i think she's thinking about wedging that screwdriver into her CPU and ending it all.. but thats just me. ) This might ruin your beautifully painted hand, so i didn't really want to suggest it.. but there... i said it! ... I'd think a little about the scenario too... has she been banished? where is she? an alley? a basement? what is she holding in her hand and why? who did this... what is she thinking? what is she feeling? (eg. 'I hate myself for the decisions that led to me being in this situation' or 'I resign myself to having no arm and must now consider if it is worth living or dying?' or 'Boy i think i really like vanilla?')

The stump of the arm looks a little strange in my opinion also, as I don't believe a clean break of an arm (robotic or otherwise) would occur that close to the neck... i've stretched it out a little in my modified version here to try and fix this, while at the same time getting rid of the 'roundness' of the hole

the rolls in the stomach aren't as convincing as the could be (but you probably knew that) the right breast looked a little flat.. ie there wasn't any shading or shadow as there should be (as indicated by the other breast and the shadow on the wall) the bra sits flat against the breast, which it wouldn't if it was loose like that

i've included an image here with some (really messy and rushed) modifications

those are my thoughts... very picky, and very subjective (but thats what you came here for right?) its a really brilliant piece, but could be made even better by further clarifying the context in which it sits...

cheers
lachlan

08 August 2004
suggestion

hm........ very emotional picture there mr stahlberg, the darks surroundings give a dark impression and emotion of the the android..........

her torn clothing, broken mechanical arm with abit of blood stains and stretched legs expressess her sadness there as well as the screw driver..... but abit of suggestion though, I quite agree with jebwst... the refference image he provided of a child crying wrapping her arms around her kness invoked plenty of sadness, depression and the distress feeling, well having tears plopping on the surface in front of the android would show just how sad she is being unable to repair her other arm with her left...... just a suggestion...

anyway.. really good image you worked on there...........

08 August 2004
tehehe "show just how sad she is being unable to repair her other arm with her left....."

maybe instead of a screwdriver she could be holding a pair of nail clippers... now THATS cause for blues!

ok.. i'll be quiet now

lachlan

08 August 2004
The first thing I did when I looked at the image, was reach for my shoulder. .

I think you'd be able to evoke a little more emotion, if you have her trying to take her crying/depressed/upset face off like a mask. Or have it lying on the ground next to her.

Another thing that I would suggest is to completely remove her clothes, and not giving her any human features (nipples and gentialia). This would communicate a more sincere depression, since she is beyond the point of trying to conceal herself. That 'cold, naked and lonely feeling'.

The last thing I'd suggest is to use much colder colours for the skin, they feel a bit to warm.

The tear drops on the floor are a nice touch, and it works really well compositionally!

ACM | SIGGRAPH Student Chapter of The Art Institute of California - San Francisco

Personal Website

share thread