Frequently Asked Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2004   #61
OK, my turn to add to the list of "what's happening here."
I uploaded my images last weekend, thinking that I was beating the rush. I just learned today that we can check if the upload worked by logging on to our account page. There was nothing there. When I checked the FTP site on Monday, my image was there, I could see it with about 50 others. But, it never got posted to my final image page. Now what?
I had it done in time

MirageGraphics

Old 01 January 2004   #62
Quote: Originally posted by Leigh
vrf, I didn't receive your images... (I am the webmaster). That's a bit strange. The deadline was GMT midnight, but a few people made the mistake of forgetting about time zones. I'll speak to our tech guy and see if he received your entry.

To everyone else, no more TIFs or Jpegs can be submitted. The contest is closed.

Leigh,

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for helping me to get my entries into the system. I forwarded the e-mail to the webmaster address again, in case you can't find the first one. (Hope your address isn't rejecting attachments...)

I think my final tiff upload was successful, although I don't know how to confirm it. This was really a fun competition. Thanks for all of your work.

Vance

Edit: I just thought of something. Maybe your e-mail server is rejecting my address because it comes from a server in Asia. I know some servers are set up to do this because of all of the spam mail from this part of the world. (But that doesn't make a lot of sense, since CG talk is such an international community. Might be worth checking on though, if it's rejecting addresses from Taiwan or China.)

Last edited by vrf : 01 January 2004 at 10:41 AM.

Old 01 January 2004   #63
OK, one more stupid question. It says not to compress the TIFF file, but that we should zip it. Just to clarify, under the save properties of the TIFF format there is an option for ZIP. Should we just use that or are we supposed to use WINZIP and zip the file into a zipped file? Neither seem to be uploading correctly at this point. I thought I had it right the first time.
Anyone??
MirageGraphics

Old 01 January 2004   #64
Unhappy FINAL UPLOAD

I am going to try ing to up load mine soon...

Damn I hope I dont have the same problems...

Old 01 January 2004   #65
Quote: Originally posted by vrf
Leigh,

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for helping me to get my entries into the system. I forwarded the e-mail to the webmaster address again, in case you can't find the first one. (Hope your address isn't rejecting attachments...)

I got the second email and forwarded it off to Robert
Thanks!

To all other people, there is no point is continuing to upload your entries... the contest is over.

Old 01 January 2004   #66
Leigh,
How can we find out if our finals made it to the FTP sever. My final jpg is on the website, but I could never get the preview from the FTP site to work. It said it uploaded, though.
Well there come a day when the judges look to the final jpg's and then when they can't find the tiff, they'll try and track it down?
just curious.
MirageGraphics

Old 01 January 2004   #67
MirageGraphics, if it says it went through then it probably did

If we encounter problems with missing images we'll have no choice but to track them down!

Old 01 January 2004   #68
Thanks, now I can sleep knowing my work of love will be seen!!
Thanks again for such a great contest, can't wait for the judging!
MirageGraphics.

Old 01 January 2004   #69
Here's the deal:

- If you couldn't see the entries on the FTP site, it's because you weren't supposed to, and you being able to see them earlier was a mistake (oops *blush*).

- If you got a PHP error about access denied, that was caused by me fixing the previous point (doh!).

- Both are now fixed and rectified, so head on over to the updated Final Image page, log in, and check it yourself.
( http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/final_image.php )

Old 01 January 2004   #70
Quote: Originally posted by Mibus
Here's the deal:

- If you couldn't see the entries on the FTP site, it's because you weren't supposed to, and you being able to see them earlier was a mistake (oops *blush*).

- If you got a PHP error about access denied, that was caused by me fixing the previous point (doh!).

- Both are now fixed and rectified, so head on over to the updated Final Image page, log in, and check it yourself.
( http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/final_image.php )

Thanks for the help, Mibus! It says my image "appeared" to be uploaded, and then shows a picture. (I don't suppose that I should be concerned that the confirmation picture is black and white, and looks weirdly stretched, should I?)

Old 01 January 2004   #71
That is because you have five samples per pixel for some reason. We've had similar problems with EXPOSE' entries before.

RGB = 3 samples per pixel.
RGBA = 4 samples per pixel.

Everybody should *please* try and make sure you only submit images with three samples per pixel! Collapse layers, remove extra channels, etc.

vrf: I'll email you details for another image upload so you can upload a fixed image.

Old 01 January 2004   #72
When the final voting starts, where would the voting page be? or will that only be announced later..?

Old 01 January 2004   #73
It'll be at CGNetworks, in the same directory as the rest of the alienware challenge was.

The full URL will be released once voting is actually ready to commence. (We have a few things we need to check before voting can go live, like making sure everybody has submitted all milestones, etc.).

Old 01 January 2004   #74
Thanks for evefything.
Best
Suzana

Last edited by eska : 08 August 2005 at 09:51 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #75
When voting, people will have the chance to view small medium and large images. They will not, however, get the chance to view the TIFF images. (I'm talking about CGTalk member voting here, I don't know what is going to be in place for the rest of the judging).

The scaled image you see when you check the TIFF upload will *not* be shown at any point, it is merely for your own reference in checking that the upload was successful.

share thread