Frequently Asked Questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

01 January 2004
I Really would appreciate it if this could get cleared up. I'm planning to model texture and light the lanscape but In my piece there's a lot of clouds that I'm planning to composit in in photoshop. What constitutes "the majority done in 3d"? How do we find that balance? I really dont wanna put all that time into it and find that I have been disqualified because I decided to paint the clouds and not use fluids or something. If you have any questions on what my piece looks like, it's posted both here and in the 2d forum. Thanks!

01 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by eshiu
I Really would appreciate it if this could get cleared up. I'm planning to model texture and light the lanscape but In my piece there's a lot of clouds that I'm planning to composit in in photoshop. What constitutes "the majority done in 3d"? How do we find that balance? I really dont wanna put all that time into it and find that I have been disqualified because I decided to paint the clouds and not use fluids or something. If you have any questions on what my piece looks like, it's posted both here and in the 2d forum. Thanks!

Hi Eshiu,

Painting the clouds is fine! Many would do the same.

Leonard

01 January 2004
sorry to be a pain.....In my piece there's a lot of atmosphere, smoke and clouds. For a still I would model and texture everything light it up and then paint on top of that. Would this constiute too many 2d? Also someone told me that the horizantal format is not aloowed or no good....is this true? Any help you can give me will be awesome!thanks!

01 January 2004
It says in the rules that as a guideline, it should be portrait, so that Alienware can print the piece on a poster.

Though I dont think youll be disqualified for a horizontal piece, I think portrait is preffered.

01 January 2004
Quote: Originally posted by eshiu
sorry to be a pain.....In my piece there's a lot of atmosphere, smoke and clouds. For a still I would model and texture everything light it up and then paint on top of that. Would this constiute too many 2d? Also someone told me that the horizantal format is not aloowed or no good....is this true? Any help you can give me will be awesome!thanks!

can someone give me a difiniative answer? Thanks!

01 January 2004
A quick one. I do not separate my workflow exactly as in given milestones so for exaple I do not separate lighting from rendering , I do not plan to use postproduction at all this time etc... Does fact that I'll not have all stages specified (even if every step of image creation is clearly displayed) makes my entry invalid ?

01 January 2004
You need to have all your milestones submitted. If one is not uploaded, your entry will not go through to judging. You need to at least show a lighting phase where perhaps you upload a wireframe showing light placements. At the very least, something.

Milestones will not be judged, but they need to exist in the system or the final entry will not go to judging.

01 January 2004
Leonard,

It would be really useful to know how much 2d is too much 2d. Fro example I would model the env roughly , texture it roughly, light it anf then bring it into PS to fix what wasn't right and to put in the effects and clouds. Would that constitute as too much 2d? Whats the balance?

01 January 2004
The bulk of the image needs to have been rendered in 3D. As in, solid objects, etc. that you'd expect to be in 3D should be renderered in 3D. Things such as backgrounds, skies, clouds, etc. can be painted on or fixed up in post.

There is no exact balance between 2D and 3D. The judges will be voting based on artistic merit and may also take a look at your WIP's to see how you produced the image.

Cheers,

Leonard

01 January 2004
Hmm where to start on questions...

I've got a question about the final presentation? I know some people have been presenting their work with the Alienware logo and a nice border around their image... does this matter in the end result? I know presentation is important... but does it count in this contest?

Also, about submitting images for the texturing and lighting... I'm still not sure what you all want. Do you want a wire frame? A screen shot showing where the lights are? Sorry, this probably seems assinine... but I'm just trying to make sure I submit things correctly.

Thanks for you time!

Barry

01 January 2004
Will we receive an email notification once we submit our final image to confirm that it went through ok?

01 January 2004
Hi Leonard, afraid of being annoying but I'm still worried about Landscape/Portrait problem.. Unfortunately I noticed it too late. I just would like to know would it influence final judgement ? I surely can reposition my composition ..but it would definitely ruin it cuz from the very start i imagined it widescreen. It's my fault. Thanks in advance Leonard

01 January 2004
It doesn't matter about the aspect ratio. It was just a suggestion to people. The judges will not "mark down" on horizontal art.

L.

01 January 2004
Uh, hi. could you just take a sec, and answer my two qestions Yoda (Leonard)... oh and nice avitar

Quote: Originally posted by imscifi
Hmm where to start on questions...

I've got a question about the final presentation? I know some people have been presenting their work with the Alienware logo and a nice border around their image... does this matter in the end result? I know presentation is important... but does it count in this contest?

Also, about submitting images for the texturing and lighting... I'm still not sure what you all want. Do you want a wire frame? A screen shot showing where the lights are? Sorry, this probably seems assinine... but I'm just trying to make sure I submit things correctly.

Thanks for you time!

Barry

B.

01 January 2004
Hi

1. Logo -
We'd prefer it if your final image DID NOT have any logos on it.

Q: Also, about submitting images for the texturing and lighting... I'm still not sure what you all want. Do you want a wire frame? A screen shot showing where the lights are? Sorry, this probably seems assinine... but I'm just trying to make sure I submit things correctly.

A: Wireframe - yes
screenshot - yes

Cheers

L.

share thread