Welcome to the Alienware Challenge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2003
Change: A Contingency Approach.

Stage 1: This is going to be great!
I am defiantly looking forward to the changes, and to the next challenge.

Stage 2: Crap…this is not so great…
Is this the only new challenge?
Is there still going to be the other challenges to enter: game, 2d, Animation ext...
I hope this is not the only one…

Stage 3: It won’t be easy but I can do it.
I am defiantly looking forward to getting to work on something again, but I’m too excited by this one, the prize sure is kick ass, it’s not like I have a chance to win so I honestly don’t care what the prize is, but I will see what I come up with if this is the only challenge that we are going to have.

Not much of an environment guy… which I guess is more of a reason why I should enter this one… need to exercise different muscles, I am more of a low poly guy.

I do have a few Questions:
Including those mentioned in "Stage 2"
You say it has to be 3d, but can we do some touch up work in a 2d app?
Or should it be pure 3d rendering not touching up in 2d?
How about some 2d compositing is that ok…or not?

Slog: DOOM 3 Mod
Cable: DOOM 3 Mod

I am looking for work.

10 October 2003
Good luck all, (YOU'LL NEED IT NOW THAT I'VE ENTERED!!! HAHAHAHA)

Hopefully I'll be able to have time to complete this one.

10 October 2003
Good luck to all that enter!

Since moderators cannot enter we will live the challenge through you all, so do us proud!

Bon chance!

10 October 2003
Count me in!

10 October 2003
where do you start with something like this???? I guess I'll have to see what people are coming up with, because I can't seem to visualize what we are being asked of. Just environment?? Must it be land?? can it be inside of something???

10 October 2003
I'm in it for the prize And oh yeah, because of the art :P

10 October 2003
Quote: Originally posted by spirogyro
where do you start with something like this???? I guess I'll have to see what people are coming up with, because I can't seem to visualize what we are being asked of. Just environment?? Must it be land?? can it be inside of something???

Get your own ideas

10 October 2003
Ok, so what is the expected ratio of post to 3d work? I have some interesting ideas, but most of them involve more post-processing in 2D than actual 3D work - is that within the rules of the challenge?

For example if I had envisioned a firery/smokey place, would it be expected to do the fire and smoke in 3D or is 2D fine?

10 October 2003
haha, cool... Maybe 3months is long enough to get my act together Thanks CGNetworks and Alienware.

cuse

10 October 2003
Quote: Originally posted by stefanminning
Ok, so what is the expected ratio of post to 3d work? I have some interesting ideas, but most of them involve more post-processing in 2D than actual 3D work - is that within the rules of the challenge?

For example if I had envisioned a firery/smokey place, would it be expected to do the fire and smoke in 3D or is 2D fine?

My guess would be, it doesn't matter. The judges will be looking at renderings, not your project files. If they can't tell if its 3d or 2d, then kudos to you!

10 October 2003
Quote: Originally posted by zbgump
My guess would be, it doesn't matter. The judges will be looking at renderings, not your project files. If they can't tell if its 3d or 2d, then kudos to you!
That was my first thought as well, but since it's specifically meant to be a 3D challenge, I'm not so sure! If it didn't matter then they wouldn't have set the scope so narow in the first place...

10 October 2003
Check the FAQ thread, Leonard says:-

Quote: Q. How much 2D is allowed over the 3D? Do things like dust, fire, and all other effects have to be achieved within the 3D app or can they be painted on afterwards? Would even things like paint-overs be allowed?
A. The image needs to be predominantly 3D, or give the effect of being three-dimensional. The purpose of this challenge is to facilitate the creation of art. Use your discretion, artistic license and initiative in creating the art.

cuse

10 October 2003
Quote: Originally posted by cuse
Check the FAQ thread, Leonard says:-

cuse
Ok, thanks!

(I could swear that wasn't there when I last checked )

10 October 2003
I dont think it was im pretty sure theyre all working to update as much as possible as quickly as possible hehe...

cuse

10 October 2003
GOOD LUCK! -__COUNT ME IN__-

share thread