ALIENWARE: The artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2004   #1
ALIENWARE: The artists

Dear CGNetwork Artists,

With the cooperation of CGNetworks, artists were given the mission to create a 3D rendered image of an alien world that is uninhabited yet feels ‘alive’. Alienware received over 3800 entries for the Alienware CG Challenge! We were impressed by the professional and inspirational concepts that were created for this competition. Choosing a winner among these amazing concepts will be difficult.

While Alienware was developing the MJ-12 digital content creation workstation, our goal was to design a system that maximizes the capabilities of 3D animation and visual effects applications. This effort earned the MJ-12 certifications from Discreet and Softimage for its graphics and rendering capabilities. After looking at all of the launch options for this system, Alienware determined that the CGNetworks community was the perfect destination because of its connection to some of the best CG artists in the world.

The last three months have been exciting for both CGNetworks and Alienware, we have watched concept sketches evolve into breathtaking rendered finals. I would like to congratulate you all on the hard work that has been dedicated to this contest.

Thank you for making the Alienware CG Challenge a success. For more information regarding Alienware workstations, please visit www.alienware.com/workstations_dcc.aspx

Wish you all the best,

Alberto Arias
alberto_arias@alienware.com
Workstation Marketing

Old 01 January 2004   #2
Wink Cheers

This challenge was awsome, thiers so much killer artwork, how about making a cg networks calander, with several images on each page, Id buy 10

Ive had loads of fun

Cheers
chrish

View My Alien Worlds

Old 01 January 2004   #3
I looked through all the final entries last night after the FTP closed at the end of the competition, and I've got to say that I am very happy with the final turnout!

There are some amazing entries, a lot of hard work and some very excited artists!

Voting will be opening shortly. Congratulations to everyone that participated, especially those that managed to finish

This challenge has had one of the highest numbers of completed entries out of all the challenges that we have run on CGTalk.

Thanks to Alienware for providing such a generous and desirable incentive for finishing, and thanks to all the artists for making this such a great and inspiring experience.

Old 01 January 2004   #4
hmm better solve the problems with the final image first - mentioned in the bug issue report thread.
( "Warning: opendir(/home/httpd/vhosts/cgnetworks.com/httpdocs/../web_users/challenge3): failed to open dir: Permission denied in /home/httpd/vhosts/cgnetworks.com/httpdocs/alienware/final_image.php on line 298

You have not yet submitted a final image for judging!"
)

anyways, nice challenge, I hope the error is only web-based...

cu

Last edited by cucaracha : 01 January 2004 at 06:49 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #5
I cant wait for the judging and to find out who will be our winners. Good luck to everyone.

Old 01 January 2004   #6
yeah when do they announce the winner? who does the judging?

cheers
shimon

Old 01 January 2004   #7
Well, good luck to all. I feel really bad that I didn't get an entry in, but my scene got corrupted. Its not like it could have competed with anything here.

Old 01 January 2004   #8
hum

bummer, have you tryed to import it into a fresh scene, sometimes this helps, also ive noticed lost of scene files get currupted when your settings for saving scenes are set to compression, always disable compression in any 3d package,

chrish

Old 01 January 2004   #9
Re: hum

Quote: Originally posted by chrish
bummer, have you tryed to import it into a fresh scene, sometimes this helps, also ive noticed lost of scene files get currupted when your settings for saving scenes are set to compression, always disable compression in any 3d package,

chrish

Yeah, I did, but it didn't work. Thanks for the compression tip.

Old 01 January 2004   #10
Yes, there has been lots of very impressive work produced, i hope cgtalk will put together a nice little temporary site showcasing all the final entries!

Old 01 January 2004   #11
I am glad you all liked the contest; It was something we were very excited about.

We get to empower an artist with a very powerful system. Another result of this contest is sure to be that a lot of other companies will be following our footsteps; this will bring a lot of exciting things to your community.

Alberto Arias

Last edited by Alienw Albert : 01 January 2004 at 08:06 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #12
aw well. i was still working on my entry. i guess il try to finish it as jsut a fun peice. totally forgot the deadline :(

you can see me at www.3DBuZZ.com too.

Old 01 January 2004   #13
It's been a lot of fun - and as usual, highly educational.

My humble thanks to CGNetworks and AlienWare for organizing this gargantuan challenge!

*cough*now gimme that friggin MJ-12 *cough*

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 01 January 2004   #14
It has been fun indeed, and very educational. I never made an image this size before (4000x5473) and I really pushed my CPU and graphics card limits to the max..."hint, hint" ;-)
I really liked working on something of my own, within a context.
Maybe I'll use the idea for my students as well...

Old 01 January 2004   #15
I can honestly say this has been educational for us as well. I am truly in awe of what has been produced by you guys and the camaraderie I have witnessed.
Regarding that MJ12, it will be delivered in due time, what a lucky one that person will be.

share thread