ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Jarod Hayes Ruffo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2004
ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Jarod Hayes Ruffo

Jarod Hayes Ruffo has entered the ALIENWARE Challenge.

01 January 2004
Concept Sketch: Light Years

This is my concept image, I was going for vast distance. It started out with colored pencil. Then I added ink. The blood was done by biting the ball point off and blowing the ink onto the paper and smearing it around with the tube.

01 January 2004
Concept Sketch: 150 Light Years

This is my concept image, I was going for vast distance. It started out with colored pencil. Then I added ink. The blood was done by biting the ball point off and blowing the ink onto the paper and smearing it around with the tube.

01 January 2004
Modeling: background enviroment

This is my enviroment I am working on. It actually came from the concept image in the way of an experiment. I was modeling the channel in the concept image with splines and was using lights on the paths like traces on a circuit board. I was using lens effects on the light. I ended up using on frame of the lens flare as a screen mapped displacement map then the hills materialized.

01 January 2004
Texturing: Thermal Imaging Clouds

One of the things I wanted was thermal imaging type clouds on the projected grid sky. I spent more time animating and playing with the timing, which wasnít necessary for this contest, but I like moving images. The oil water is a flat mirror material with animated noise.

01 January 2004
Post Effects and Compositing: S-team

This is after I added stem with video post. This is also animated.

01 January 2004
Rendering: Lava

Here is a work in progress on the lava foreground. This was made from 4 high poly planes with an animated displacement map on a few of them. Then again a spent more time playing with the animation which isnít the goal in this contest.

01 January 2004
Rendering: Lava WIP

Here is another work in progress image of the lava foreground I wanted to add to the image. This was made from 2 high poly planes with a blend material usning the opacity and masks. Then again a spent more time playing with the animation which isnít the goal in this contest.

01 January 2004
Concept Sketch: Over Done

Here is a version with the lava foreground and some animated lightening. The fire and smoke was done with Discreet Combustion. The animation for this looks really cool. I ended up deciding it was too much and think it may be a bit over done.

01 January 2004
Final Image: Work Complete

Here is my final image. I will be rendering a high resolution one and uploading it soon.

01 January 2004
You know i like your over done scene better than your final. Just take out the lightning and reduce the steam a bit and make it a little more alien and it'd be great!

01 January 2004
Lighting: Lighting Example

Here is an example showing the complicated lighting envolved in creating my alien land scape.

01 January 2004
Final Image: 150 Light Years

Here is the final image. I ran in to some trouble when rendering the 300 DPI image with the grid. The grid thickness was set to 1 pixel, so when I thought all I had to do was render it large the whole image changed. I fixed it by changing the grid to 8 or so when I rendered my final image.

01 January 2004
I realy didn't see something similare like this in this competition. I realy like it in a strange way, it is so metaphysical.
Best luck

01 January 2004
thanks

thanks for the positive feedback. This is something I wanted to keep simple and you could look at from 10 feet away and still enjoy it.

share thread