ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Russell Thomas

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2004
the1st_angel'
Thanks for the input, I have been hoping to recieve others thoughts but entered so late and now it is a rush job. I will play with the view some more and play with the texturing. The particles in trueSpace are a little weak so I am a little limited in what I can do in that catagory, but I will not blame the tool

My thoughts on the composition was to draw the eye to the center peice via clouding crystal and general compostition such as the planets ring pointing towards the center peice. I will give your advise some more thought and see what I can implement.

01 January 2004
Smile

Most Welcome... Yep, time is my major problem too, as customers always give you rushjobs when you anyways have more than enough work, I did not have too much time at all to really bring into my alienworld what i wanted to. And had 4 big crashes.
Well, Best Luck, keep on rockin' and don't end up sleepless in seattle

Last edited by TheFirstAngel : 01 January 2004 at 05:39 AM.

01 January 2004
Rendering: Alternate Scheme4

Tried to implement some items suggested by forum members for improvement of composition. Probably rais liquid plain to increase liquid area. Geometry on planets ring is a little rough, may address that also. May need debris of some sort on ground so that it doesn't look quite so sterile, but that may give it a stark apperance. Eliminated steam clouds at this point.

01 January 2004
Talking

Looks heaps better already, Jus am not 100% sure if it really needs the planet, and i'd place it on the background, right 40% covered by the horizon. Also, spin it on z camview-axis, and give it less light, so just a segment will be visable of it, actually, it looks a bit like some kind ufo.
I'd also break up the platform a bit make connections smaller, thinner, to support the sense of scale and give the rest the illusion of being big...

01 January 2004
Thanks!

Thanks for the input. I made the liquid larger, decreased diameter of power rods and removed ring from planet and lowered it. I will have it rendering while I am at work and see what it looks like. In additition I think you thought the planet should be on the right, I will look into that also. Thanks again for your input. I love your project the arm structures curving back down into the structure give it some great dynamics.

01 January 2004
Hi Russell

Very nice work, i like those buildings they are great i wish i can see them as highres, the blue light beam or laser power -i'm not quite sure- needs some more details like adding amount of tiny transparented glowed particls wich will add more dynamic movement to it.

nice work keep it up,

01 January 2004
Thank you for the Input

Designer2,
Thank you for the input, I enjoyed viewing the process of your project from start to finish, great job! I want to work on more organic modeling, as you can see I am pretty rigid and geometrical in my design, your stuff had a great style to it.

Tonight I will play around with particles and perhaps a smaller tube with a fake caustic and raycatcher shader to see what kind of effect I can get. I may increase the height of the structures here and there also.

Thanks for the input, I am inside the box right now looking out, need some outsiders views

01 January 2004
Thanks Russel, can't wait to see your next update! Keep on rockin'!

01 January 2004
Hey, Allusionist...

I like what youv'e done so far...

Here a some of my suggestions:

I think it was mentioned b4...about the blue tubes..they should have some variation inside of them..maybe particles or something.

The ground itself should be a bump map to make it look rough ...or even a wavy plane.

The buildings could have small light point inside of them of different colors.

Maybe you could a foreground shader to make things look alittle moe foggy.

I hope this helps!

Desire and commitment are the fuel which propels us to achieve greatness

01 January 2004
Texturing: Alien sky

Playing around with possible skys to replace the existing one. Here is an attempt at modifying my existing sky. I will see how it works in the scene.

01 January 2004
A rhino on the lose

Rhino,
Thanks for the input, I will look into what I can do to make the ground more irregular and I will play with foreground environments once I get the rest of the scene up to par, render times drasictically increase with such features inabled.

Thanks Again!

01 January 2004
Talking Nice!

I like your concept! And it's nice to see someone else using Universe for the background. Personally, I'd forget the planet in the background image, and model something to go in the sky there, if you need it. It's gonna be near impossible to match the perspective and the lighting that you have with the Universe program. Anyway, that's my 2-cents worth. Good luck in the challenge! Can't wait to see your finished project!

01 January 2004
Thanks!

Bclaw,
Thanks for the input, I tried the background modified with Universe and thought it detracted. Still working on it and may do the work Post-process to get the compisition right. Thanks again

01 January 2004
Concept Sketch: Render5

Tried putting element in power tubes, lost glow effect, will re-evaluate!

01 January 2004
Rendering: Render 6

Well I was out of town and now the rush is on. I will use this image to figure out what post processing I will be doing. Last minute input helpful ;)

share thread