Alienware Challenge - UPLOAD FINAL ENTRIES (DEADLINE 20 JAN)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2004   #16
Thanks Leo and James for clearing that up. Much appreciated.

Old 01 January 2004   #17
Really looking forward to the results. A "quick" run through the entries (48 pages ) already made me , gonna be a hard job for the jury.

good luck all, too bad I couldn't join in.

Old 01 January 2004   #18
working hard

Tieme is up!!!!,

Old 01 January 2004   #19
Lets have another competition RIGHT after so I can join in, heheh.

Old 01 January 2004   #20

I have posted all of my milestones but not step by step.Now i cann`t submit my final image.

What must i do ?

Old 01 January 2004   #21
Quote: Originally posted by Annuostivix
Lets have another competition RIGHT after so I can join in, heheh.

Dont understand dude, why can you not submit the final image, whats the problem.... if i can help i will

ok, wrong quote, sorry about that, but the right quote is obvious...

Last edited by jayreef : 01 January 2004 at 07:02 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #22
Hello there, I'm currently in a mad rush to get this finished on time (& can't wait to look at the other final entries). So, does the Jan 20 deadline mean midnight on Jan20/21? Also, what time zone? (gonna need those last few hours i think!)

Old 01 January 2004   #23
Is it possible to overwrite a first final pic upload?

For "safety" reasons i'd like to upload one version now, and if the 2nd render works out tomorrow while i'm at work and if I get home in time to recomposite and all, reupload a better version just 5 minutes before the deadline. (when the server will be near death)

Old 01 January 2004   #24
ftp

can't seem to transfer the final zip through ftp?

Old 01 January 2004   #25
ok, so at the risk of really showing just how little I know about the web and ftp stuff... how do you get your .zip file into that folder??? Realy not my cup of tea, will keep trying, but some advice would be helpfull (using a mac BTW)
thanks
Maty2x4

Old 01 January 2004   #26
DOH! silly me, got it.
Leave the host directory box blank

Old 01 January 2004   #27
FTP problems - try again! If you still have trouble, email me (robert at ballisticmedia.net).

Image upload confirmation - Not just yet. I'll probably put a page up soon where you can check. Definately before the FTP deadline.

Deadline - it's midnight 20/21, in UTC (~GMT).

There's a countdown timer on:
http://cgnetworks.com/alienware/submit_entry.php
right before the "login" boxes.

(~ 23 hours). We're not guaranteeing the countdown timer is terribly accurate, but it should be pretty close ;-)

I just talked to Leo, and we've decided although we'll stop allowing the JPEG uploads at the deadline, we'll allow TIFs to be FTPd up for a bit longer. Not decided on how long yet, but probably at least another 24 hours.

You can probably upload over your final entries, yes.

I wouldn't leave things until five minutes before the deadline, just incase there are troubles.

Don't forget to upload *all* milestones as JPEGs folks! (Not to the FTP, just through the website).

Rob.

Old 01 January 2004   #28
I've just this second finished adding an image preview section to the "Final Image" upload area.

Basically, click "Final Image", log in (as normal), and it will tell you if you've already uploaded an image, the filesize of the TIF, and will display a *resized* (800x800 max) copy of the image.

Common problems people have:
- FTP problems - normally resolved by using Passive FTP (not Active) and BINARY transfer mode (not ASCII).
- Image colours are wrong / picture is skewed or otherwise distorted - check you only have three channels (R, G, B... no alpha, definately no others).
- 0-byte TIFF after decompression - Use ZIP, not RAR or ACE. We only support ZIP.

I'd recommend everybody check the page out. If you don't see the right info for your image, don't panic too quickly (it might be my code), but try uploading again and/or sending me an email (robert at ballisticmedia.net).

Whatever you do, don't just let things slide... there isn't even 20 hours left before the end of the challenge. I've set the timeout for the FTP uploads to be another 36 hours after that, so you guys have an eeensy bit more time

Old 01 January 2004   #29
I've just this second finished adding an image preview section to the "Final Image" upload area.

Basically, click "Final Image", log in (as normal), and it will tell you if you've already uploaded an image, the filesize of the TIF, and will display a *resized* (800x800 max) copy of the image.

Common problems people have:
- FTP problems - normally resolved by using Passive FTP (not Active) and BINARY transfer mode (not ASCII).
- Image colours are wrong / picture is skewed or otherwise distorted - check you only have three channels (R, G, B... no alpha, definately no others).
- 0-byte TIFF after decompression - Use ZIP, not RAR or ACE. We only support ZIP.

I'd recommend everybody check the page out. If you don't see the right info for your image, don't panic too quickly (it might be my code), but try uploading again and/or sending me an email (robert at ballisticmedia.net).

Whatever you do, don't just let things slide... there isn't even 20 hours left before the end of the challenge. I've set the timeout for the FTP uploads to be another 36 hours after that, so you guys have an eeensy bit more time

[Oh and if anyone got duplicate emails today, sorry; that was my laptop misbehaving while I was out to lunch!]

Old 01 January 2004   #30
Shouldn`t us to do anything after uploading the zip file ?

share thread