Wishlist for Painter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 03 March 2005   #31
for polygonal lasso, use the pen tool, then once you've finished drawing your shape, at the top you'll see some buttons, one of them is for turning the shape into a selection. no need for any new layers.

Old 03 March 2005   #32
Originally Posted by gedee: My wishes:

1.b
Going on the previous one, beeing able to set paper textures on individual brushes.
So i don't have to change paper all the time!

We've had it for years, in several Painter versions.

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Index

Type Brush Looks, click "saving", click the Display button, and read.

Old 03 March 2005   #33
PNG and/or TGA support.
At the very least some easy way of exporting transparewnt images without having to resort to Photoshop.

Also I would STILL like to be able to cut out and resize without getting grey lines round the edges of the selection As I do now.

Last edited by Squeakypics : 03 March 2005 at 05:09 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #34
OK then I'll try overhere

Being able to browse through a folder of Riff images on Windows. Either outside or inside Painter.

And yes I do agree about the dual monitor support. Most other applications accept dragging palettes out of the main Window.

Better image resize window. Most of all that aspect ratio is not locked.

Arjo.

Old 03 March 2005   #35
Originally Posted by Petri.J: I wish you finally make the opacity to work like in photoshop.

The above test is made with Painter IX, changing the opacity.
The one below is same with Photoshop CS.

As you can see, the opacity doesn't work very well in painter. I hope you make this posible in next patch.
Thanks.

Oh, yes! Please!

It would be suitable as a brush application option (e.g., Cover, Erase, Layer-Applied Opacity, Burn etc.)

The reason that photoshop's opacity works differently is that the brush stroke is not 'applied' until you let go of the cursor. Painter adds opacity for every step of the brush stroke, so they are constantly building on the previous brush 'stamp'.

But the thing that's really stopping me upgrading from Painter 6 to Painter IX is absolutely irritating:

In painter 6, if I want to resize a brush on-the-fly, I hold Ctrl+Alt, resize and the brush is ready for use. In Painter IX, I have to click once on the canvas after resizing to activate it! Why??? What else are you going to do other than paint with the brush once you've resized it?

Please Corel, I know this sounds trivial, but it's like walking along the road but having to tap each shoe on the pavement before taking another step. It's looks stupid and breaks up workflow.

Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. rrrraaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaargh. [ Painter IX box is flung out of the window... ]

Last edited by ceenda : 03 March 2005 at 03:31 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #36
make the fill tool work with layer masks.

make the create layer mask from selection actually make a layer mask from the selection rather than from what's inside of the selected area.

Old 03 March 2005   #37
meme_sadie,

Unless I'm completely missing what you're asking for, we already have it in Painter IX and we had it in Painter 8 as well, some of it in several earlier versions too.

Originally Posted by mdme_sadie: make the fill tool work with layer masks.

The Painter IX and Painter 8 Paint Bucket tool does work on Layer Masks and on Alpha Channels, as does the Painter IX and Painter 8 Effects > Fill command work on both Layer Masks and Alpha Channels.

make the create layer mask from selection actually make a layer mask from the selection rather than from what's inside of the selected area.

I'm not sure where you find a command named "create layer mask from selection". I think you might be talking about Alpha Channels (that can be created by saving selections) not Layer Masks.

In any case, that's exactly what Painter IX, Painter 8, and earlier version Alpha Channels or User Masks do.

They mask the area around the selection to protect it from being affected by painting or Effects menu options. That's the default behavior and unless the Alpha Channel or User Mask is inverted, or the loaded selection is inverted, or another Drawing Mode icon is chosen, only the unmasked area will be affected.

Mask = hide or protect

Hide = Layer Masks

Protect = Alpha Channels or in earlier versions, User Masks

Old 03 March 2005   #38
Originally Posted by ceenda:
In painter 6, if I want to resize a brush on-the-fly, I hold Ctrl+Alt, resize and the brush is ready for use. In Painter IX, I have to click once on the canvas after resizing to activate it! Why??? What else are you going to do other than paint with the brush once you've resized it?

Please Corel, I know this sounds trivial, but it's like walking along the road but having to tap each shoe on the pavement before taking another step. It's looks stupid and breaks up workflow.

Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. Resize, *tap*, draw. rrrraaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaargh. [ Painter IX box is flung out of the window... ]

?

I don't have to do this step in Painter 9.

I use the Bracket keys: [ & ] to increase or decrease the size incrementally "on- the-fly."

I'm doing it now to test it out. Resize, draw. Resize, draw. I don't have to tap to activate anything.

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 03 March 2005 at 02:05 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #39
Yes, but do you use bracket keys when you have a size 100 brush and then zoom in and resize to 4 or 5? You'd be holding down the '[' for quite a while.

Ctrl-Alt, imo, was the best way of doing it. It was fine in Painter 5.5 and Painter 6. Then they added the Shift to it. Everyone hated it, so they accepted that and went back. But we were lumbered with an extra step in the process.

To be honest, it's not a problem. If it's not fixed, I don't upgrade. Simple.

Old 03 March 2005   #40
Originally Posted by Petri.J: I wish you finally make the opacity to work like in photoshop.

The above test is made with Painter IX, changing the opacity.
The one below is same with Photoshop CS.

As you can see, the opacity doesn't work very well in painter. I hope you make this posible in next patch.
Thanks.

Isn't this result dependent on the Painter Media Variant you choose for your experiment?

In the real world, each media oil, gouche, watercolor, etc. has very specific properties of transparency and opacity. You choose which one is best for the result you want.

I think we have to take into account the natural media abilities of Painter when trying to compare it to Photoshop. If you want a clear glaze use watercolor. If you want a translucent glaze or an opaque tone use gouche or oil, etc. Just as you would in the real world.

Photoshop is dumb in this respect. It has ONE WAY to apply paint and doesn't emulate anything. I think that uniformity is why it seems to "work better."

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 03 March 2005 at 02:54 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #41
More Robust Perspective Grid

One request from me in the upcoming Patch, would be the ability to add multiple vanishing points to the PERSPECTIVE GRID. Even the addition of Two-Point Perspective would be better than what's there.

If you could snap to the active Perspective Grid I'd be in heaven.

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 03 March 2005 at 03:40 PM.

Old 03 March 2005   #42
Originally Posted by ceenda: Yes, but do you use bracket keys when you have a size 100 brush and then zoom in and resize to 4 or 5? You'd be holding down the '[' for quite a while.

Ctrl-Alt, imo, was the best way of doing it. It was fine in Painter 5.5 and Painter 6. Then they added the Shift to it. Everyone hated it, so they accepted that and went back. But we were lumbered with an extra step in the process.

To be honest, it's not a problem. If it's not fixed, I don't upgrade. Simple.

Actually, I have it set to increase in increments of five. It takes (testing it out) one and 1/2 seconds to go from five to one hundred. I find that VERY acceptable.

Sleep is for the weak.

Old 03 March 2005   #43
I did, in fact, try increasing the step size to 5. It's a little bit better, but still not as fast as the Ctrl-Alt method. (for me, alas. Usability being a issue that is totally subjective from one person to another ) But To get accurate brush size from 1-5 I have to back into preferences. I really like the '[' and ']' for minute adjustments once the 'bulk' shape of the brush has been set.

Old 03 March 2005   #44
Never used 9, but I also want to the opacity option as mentioned, i.e. to have opacity increase only on each stroke, not each time the brush passes over existing pigment. But - IMPORTANT - this absolutely should not replace the existing opacity settings, it should be an added option. To replace the existing opacity settings, which emulate natural media, would render the whole package useless for me.

Old 03 March 2005   #45
Originally Posted by Baron Impossible: Never used 9, but I also want to the opacity option as mentioned, i.e. to have opacity increase only on each stroke, not each time the brush passes over existing pigment.

Let me see if I understand you guys...
You want that "clean wash" that Ryan Church does in his DVDs. Sort of like a marker when you see no marker strokes. BUT you don't want that clean tone disturbed if you paint over it with the same brush. You just want the SAME tone until you decide to "dry the watercolor."

Like this?
The different orange values are achived by drying the watercolor and aplying the same tone over the top.
Go to the Brush Controls menu and Modify the existing "Digital Water Color" - "New Simple Water" brush variant by changing the "Spacing" to 13-14% and changing the "Minimum Spacing" to .5 The factory variant is fine for me but when I want that extra clean wash I modify the factory default.

Originally Posted by RossH: 5. Splatty paint (drop paint onto the canvas from a height... like Jackson Pollock. Paint splats and runs)

I thought this would be a cool feature also. But guess what! On the Painter 9 CD they have some Splatter Brushes! I never noticed until now.

These are actualy very expresive and completely random. I think if we modified it we might be able to get the feature you and I were wanting.

Sleep is for the weak.

Last edited by theCloudmover : 03 March 2005 at 03:31 PM.

reply share thread