Wishlist for Painter

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2005
To repeat the above question, anybody heard when will the upcoming patch will be coming?

I would very much like to use my expensive program again. I hope they solve PIX's vanishing act.

02 February 2005
Originally Posted by mdme_sadie: improved "dryness" or "grain" with the artists oils. currently they're very much like oils on a wet brush on a smooth surface. but if you look at ArtRage's brush strokes theyr'e like Oils on a Dry brush (with a higher pigment and bulk on a grainy surface), i'm unable to recreate the effect in painter, the edge breakup, crumbly falloff. it would be nice to be able to recreate this sort of effect. (the second painter stroke is the closest i could get using maximum added grain of 50% as any higher or lower is less grain for some obscure reason).

You need to spend more time experimenting with the brush controls, particularly in the Brush Controls' Artist's Oils palette.

Also try adjusting the Grain slider on the Property Bar and the Paper Contrast slider in the Papers palette.

It's definitely possible to get an Artist's Oils variant to paint so the trail off part of the brushstroke shows the Paper texture.

If your Paper is too smooth, the effect will be less visible, naturally.

02 February 2005
maybe you could show me a good example brush then with the sharp start, edge breakup and dry tail breakup (not texture).

I've been unable to get such an effect having played with the grain (as stated bizarely strongest at 50%) and the artists oils settings themselves (though I was able to get some odd overlay of stroke artifacts).

the best i've achieved is something that starts out like a thined out oily paint on a ceramic tile that then turns into some sort of chalk before fading out..

02 February 2005
mdme_sadie,

I've done some experimenting, created a couple of demo images and a custom brush variant. Since that doesn't really belong in this thread, I'll post it all in a new thread named:

Jins_AO_DryBrush Custom Brush Variant for meme_sadie

Jinny

Last edited by Jinbrown : 02 February 2005 at 05:01 AM.

02 February 2005
hmm thanks, that's a lot of work you put in there, but it is kinda the same result i was getting. the grain in painter starts well before the actual trailoff and in the darker areas evenly (as the lighter areas) so it looks like a kind of chalk block rather than grainy falloff.

really where it's darker is where there's more paint, so you'd expect the grain to only show through the lighter areas (as it does in the artrage stroke) till the pain runs out. but with painter the grain just sort of fades up throughout both think (dark) and thin (light) midway thorugh the stroke.

02 February 2005
mdme_sadie,

Darn! I hoped you wouldn't see the original post since I'm moving it to a new thread.

Let's talk about it there since this thread is not the appropriate place to discuss techniques and brushes indepth as it's a Wish List thread after all.

02 February 2005
well... it's still on my wishlist

03 March 2005
I'd love to see better dual monitor support on the Windows version.

03 March 2005
Smile

Here's my suggestions for the patch, or version 10! Some I'm repeating from other posts on this thread (*)...

1. Snap to grid (what is the point of a grid you can't snap to)

2. Better opacity control (current opacity is is biased WAY too much towards 100%) (*)

3. Impasto modify and export (would be interesting to see and edit the impasto effect layer like it was a channel. It would also be useful to export the impasto z-depth info separately, so it can be used as a bump map in 3d software packages).

4. Drippy ink/paint (like watercolor diffusion, be nice if we could paint thick runny paint that starts dripping down the canvas)

5. Splatty paint (drop paint onto the canvas from a height... like Jackson Pollock. Paint splats and runs)

6. Watercolor Chromatography (split watercolor color into CMYK components and be able to give each color a different diffusion rate, so the color separates like very cheap watercolor/non-art inks)

7. Visible resist in liquid oil layers (*)

8. Resist (frisket or wax) for watercolor layers, although I guess using chalk on a layer masks would work the same. Still, would be nice to add color 'wax' crayon direct to watercolor layer and have it repell water.

9. Ability to wet specific areas of the canvas (paint with water) without affecting painting, so you can control subsiquent wet-on-wet diffusion limits. Something we sort-of do with selections, but there's no fringing of color between the 'wet' and 'dry' areas.

10. A real 'dry' eraser for watercolor- I don't want to bleach, I want to rub-away at the watercolor paper without resorting to chalk on a layer mask.

11. Better 'dry brush' abilities with oils ( I want to hit the crests of the paper with color, but not fill the dimples nor apply a very transparent layer of paint)

12. Impasto takes account of paper texture ( after applying a thick brushstroke to lumpy paper, I want to be able to 'plow' away the paint again... although some paint should remain stuck in the dimples in the paper, only the crests should be removed of paint)

13. Float watercolor selections. Greyed out in the drop-down menu but if you make a selection on a watercolor layer and click using the layer adjust tool it floats the selection into a new normal layer. How about it copies the color and floats it into a new watercolor layer.

14. Further interface customisation. How about all the custom palettes you create are also made available in the dropdown menu (say between 'Window' and 'Help"). That way you can access each function in each custom palette without taking up screen realestate. Opening up this 'custom pallete' drop-down menu would reveal a list of custom palettes, each of whic can be opened up to access the contents of each palette.

15. Better 2-monitor support (*)

OK, I should stop now becore I give the guys at Corel a fright! :-)

03 March 2005
Smile

One more suggestion is to change Corel Painter IX menu for usability purpose:

Example: "Capture Brush Category" is not a very intuitive menu, especially if you are new to Painter, and should be renamed to "Create new brush category" which anybody can understand what it means.

Immagina

Last edited by Immagina : 03 March 2005 at 01:38 AM.

03 March 2005
DUal support

dat:My wishes:

Beeing able to set tablet pressure preferences on individual brushes.
ie. pencil - hard pressure respons, brush - soft response.

1.b
Going on the previous one, beeing able to set paper textures on individual brushes.
So i don't have to change paper all the time!

Real transparency

Keyboard shortcuts on brushes

Artrage oil's

Zoom snapping to the magnifier preference when i click ctrl+/-

Camel brush WITH paper texture

Low upgrade prices

If any of these things i yet possible, PLEASE tell me so!

Thanks COREL for continuing on Painter!

UPDATE! Since i do have a dual processor system and DUAL core is on the horizon, why not support dual processor/Core, this way we could pain faaaaster...

Last edited by gedee : 05 May 2005 at 06:54 PM. Reason: update:

03 March 2005
- an idea to draw fast freehand circles: with Shift we can achieve straight lines, but my idea is to add combination of Shift+Alt for establishing the radius of the circle, then release alt key and with the Shift key hold, we can go on the invisible circle by moving our hand. For designers it would be very useful thing.

- when free transforming, to view "on the fly" what we are modificating.

03 March 2005
In addition to the excellent suggestions above....

I really, REALLY hope they make the pallettes no longer locked within the parent window. I invested in a dual-monitor setup specifically so I could get those out of the way of the image I'm working on and have tuts/reference material on the other monitor, and the fact that they're solidly locked in the parent is...baffling.

03 March 2005
This is a minor request, but I've been thinking why I can scale other toolbars, but color and color info bars. I understand that it might be a bit difficult to make the color bar scalable, but even the color info would help. It would give so much better control of the hue, saturation and value, if the slider would be bigger.
I know that if I double click the current color icon I get bigger and better color picker. Of course you could just make the big color picker to be an optional picker, that people could choose to use if the default isn't enough. (I mean that you could choose it to replace the default color picker.)

I hope that made sense.
..me and my bad english..

03 March 2005
Oh, and painter is missing this "polygonal lasso tool" what can be found in photoshop.
Now this can be done in the current version of painter, like.. make a new layer, press "v", draw the area you want to select, select the area with magic wand, and go to the layer you want to use this selection.
But this is kind of slow, so this tool would help.
But the Real opacity is still my top reguest.

reply share thread