Challenge issues resolved here

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2003   #61
Quote: Originally posted by Mikaelo
Hi,

I'm working in a character for the Cinematic Game icons challenge, but I have one question: Is there any problem if one friend of mine models my character for the Game Art design challenge?

go nuts. as long as it fits within the rules...

Old 06 June 2003   #62
Question poly count question

I have an odd question about the poly count issue.

Is there any exception to the poly limits?

I ask because the character I am working on has 4 extra arms, and I am getting close to the limit, and I don’t even have a head yet.

I was just wondering if the extra arms would justify giving me and others who have the same issue as me an extra bit more polygons to work with.

If the limit is the limit no exceptions, them I’m sure I can got through and remove some detail, but I really prefer not to. I was just wondering, I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Old 06 June 2003   #63
Re: poly count question

Quote: Originally posted by ionanism
I have an odd question about the poly count issue.

Is there any exception to the poly limits?

I ask because the character I am working on has 4 extra arms, and I am getting close to the limit, and I don’t even have a head yet.

I was just wondering if the extra arms would justify giving me and others who have the same issue as me an extra bit more polygons to work with.

If the limit is the limit no exceptions, them I’m sure I can got through and remove some detail, but I really prefer not to. I was just wondering, I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask.

the limit is there for everyone to adhere to...otherwise it would not be a "challenge"

good luck eith your entry. I am sure you will find a solution.

Old 06 June 2003   #64
I was wondering about vehicle (or character) elements that are temporary in nature relating to gameplay..such as weapon or engine effects like muzzleflashes, spent casings, rockets in flight with or without contrails, and engine thrust/afterburners...

assuming we pose our final shots, should any or all of these elements be included in the 4000 poly limit?

I still have room to work on my model, just thought it was worth asking.

Last edited by Wintermute : 06 June 2003 at 08:31 AM.

Old 06 June 2003   #65
ok... sorry to submit another daft question where i'm reasonably sure of the answer but here goes...

firstly heres my concept my Game Art Challenge

Now I was working under the idea that the vehicle would be up to 4K tris, and the character would be up to 4K tris, although i would submit the vehicle for judging

However if i want to make them fit under 4K combined i could submit them as the one design (as the character and their Ride ala Panzer Dragoon)

Is this correct? I only ask because of comments that arose in my thread.

Next question: for the final render for the submission, do you only submit the elements of the render to be judged, or can the final render contain all the other elements (in this case the added character and scene etc?)

DaveMcD

Old 06 June 2003   #66
err... hello? Is everyone just busy or did my above post not flag any mods down?

DaveMcD

Old 06 June 2003   #67
Hey guys,

Just a quick query, I'm currently doing a model for another comp which I think would work for this one too.

I was just wondering if anyone would have issues with me using that model here also?

I did the concept sketch a while ago but I only started the model after this comp was already going. 2 Days ago to be precise. :P

Anyway thanks.

Old 06 June 2003   #68
caustic - personally I wouldn't have a problem with it but you would have to split everything you win with me. (Though my personal feeling on any and all issues of this nature don't really count for much since I'm a nobody.)

Old 06 June 2003   #69
Quote: Originally posted by Wintermute
I was wondering about vehicle (or character) elements that are temporary in nature relating to gameplay..such as weapon or engine effects like muzzleflashes, spent casings, rockets in flight with or without contrails, and engine thrust/afterburners...

assuming we pose our final shots, should any or all of these elements be included in the 4000 poly limit?

I still have room to work on my model, just thought it was worth asking.

those elements would not be part of the 4k limit...

Old 06 June 2003   #70
Quote: Originally posted by davemcd
ok... sorry to submit another daft question where i'm reasonably sure of the answer but here goes...

firstly heres my concept my Game Art Challenge

Now I was working under the idea that the vehicle would be up to 4K tris, and the character would be up to 4K tris, although i would submit the vehicle for judging

However if i want to make them fit under 4K combined i could submit them as the one design (as the character and their Ride ala Panzer Dragoon)

Is this correct? I only ask because of comments that arose in my thread.

correct.

Quote: Next question: for the final render for the submission, do you only submit the elements of the render to be judged, or can the final render contain all the other elements (in this case the added character and scene etc?)

more details on the final render to come.

Old 06 June 2003   #71
Quote: Originally posted by davemcd
err... hello? Is everyone just busy or did my above post not flag any mods down?

DaveMcD

sorry. i have been busy building my new system.

2x 2.4GHz Xeon | 2x 1GB 2100DDR ECC | Quadro 750 XGL | SuperMICRO X5DAE | 52x24x52 CD-RW | Pioneer A104 DVD-R | Maxtor 120GB EIDE HDD | 2x 80 GB 8MB cache EIDE HDD @ RAID 0

alot to deal with, and I am excited as heck...can't you tell?
gotta burn this system in...maybe even christen it with a challenge

Old 06 June 2003   #72
Quote: Originally posted by caustic
Hey guys,

Just a quick query, I'm currently doing a model for another comp which I think would work for this one too.

I was just wondering if anyone would have issues with me using that model here also?

I did the concept sketch a while ago but I only started the model after this comp was already going. 2 Days ago to be precise. :P

Anyway thanks.

sure. if you started the model at the same time as this challenge or after this challenge's announcement, then it is fair to everyone else...

Old 06 June 2003   #73
Quote: Originally posted by bentllama
sorry. i have been busy building my new system.

2x 2.4GHz Xeon | 2x 1GB 2100DDR ECC | Quadro 750 XGL | SuperMICRO X5DAE | 52x24x52 CD-RW | Pioneer A104 DVD-R | Maxtor 120GB EIDE HDD | 2x 80 GB 8MB cache EIDE HDD @ RAID 0

alot to deal with, and I am excited as heck...can't you tell?
gotta burn this system in...maybe even christen it with a challenge

cheers, bentllama. Sounds like a mint new system, i'm jealous (still working on my old dual PIII 833Mhz here :( )

DaveMcD

Old 06 June 2003   #74
2x 512's for diffuse, right?
and 1x 512 for bump, right?
That´ll mean I have to use double UV sets am I right?
Or can I use 2x 512's for bump, or maybe 2x256's?

Or does anyone have an idea on how to use the same UV´s and still use 1x 512 bump.

Maybe I´m missing something

Old 06 June 2003   #75
They're targa files, right? Instead of creating a full-colour bump map, you can use just one of the four channels (RGBA) as your bump, another as your spec map, another as ambient, and so on...

...at least you can do this in Maya, not sure about other programs...

share thread