Challenge issues resolved here

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 06 June 2003   #31
Originally posted by cbadger85
Oh, I have another question, is it ok if someone else does the concept art?

yes. if it is original.

for example...no feng models please.

Old 06 June 2003   #32
Originally posted by SIGIL
I have a question concerning the line between Character, and vehicle.

In the case of Panzer Dragoon Orta, the dragoon AND the rider are the main character to me, so I was wondering if a character / pet combination would be allowed as a submission for judging as a singular entry. If so, I take it the poly count for both character and pet together could not exceed 4000.

in that case 4K for the both character and ride is acceptable. together they do not exceed 4K.

Old 06 June 2003   #33
A question on polygons, when you say 2000 to 4000 polygons, what do you mean by polygon? I ask because there seem to be a lot of opinions on what a polygon actualy is (I've also asked this question here to see what people mean when they use the term.) I just whant to be sure that when I count polies I do it right. I consider a polygon any planar n-gon, (I personally almost always work in triangle because they are always planar n-gons,) but I see people use quads and give a quad count as the poly count even though the quads aren't all planar and thus those quads aren't polygons but non-planar face set, which could more than double the actual polycount of that mesh. (I know it's an issue of symantics and good modeling practice, but I would like it defined so as to set a standard.)

Old 06 June 2003   #34
is the texture rez limit the same for a level?
75k poly and 2 textures 512x512 looks... strange!

There are only 10 types of people in the world those who understand trinary, those who don't, and those who mistake it for binary.

Old 06 June 2003   #35
Hey. im a little unsure how this is working. We can create "any" character off our mind and it doesn't have to relate to any game? and we have to come up with a concept of our own game with it? just want to make sure so i dont get this wrong ;]

Old 06 June 2003   #36
The model poly count must be 2500-4000 tris [scenes will not be larger than 50,000-75,000 tris]

How will you find out? ... just with trust?! what else if someone ends up with 4001 tris or 2499 by mistake? no i don't want to be rude or something like that, just coz rules of these challenges are very firm!

"Billions of bilious blue blistering barbecued barnacles!...Cannibal!"

Old 06 June 2003   #37
A question on polygons, when you say 2000 to 4000 polygons, what do you mean by polygon?

the rule says 2500 to 4000 TRIs

"Billions of bilious blue blistering barbecued barnacles!...Cannibal!"

Old 06 June 2003   #38
It didn't say tris earlier, that was why I asked.

Old 06 June 2003   #39
Originally posted by Da Krunch
is the texture rez limit the same for a level?
75k poly and 2 textures 512x512 looks... strange!

no that is not the texture limit for a level. i will be talking to some level artists i know to get a better feel of how to implement texture constraints...

more level news to come! STAY TUNED RIGHT HERE!

Last edited by bentllama : 06 June 2003 at 07:12 AM.

Old 06 June 2003   #40
Working in groups on one model isnt allowed as i read before, but what if a team of 3 were to create a level, character and vehical for one game,

(for eample if batman was our idea)

1 of us could create batman and texture him, the 2nd member create the "batmobile" and the 3rd member creates the bat cave.

is this ok as long as we each work on our own models individually
and the only team effort is making the concepts all relavent to one another.

Old 06 June 2003   #41
texture memory

I know it was stated but i have to ask agian.

if one 512 is broken down it = 4 256's so why 2 and 512 and 4 256's is texture sizes. Anyone would take the 2 512 over the 4 256's because of more texture memory.
just asking.......

Old 06 June 2003   #42
OK, Im stupid...From my amateur standpoint Game art design means the concept art for a game, so traditionally 2d paintings/markers sketches, right?

I cant model good, but I can draw, so is this the right spot for 2d concept art?

Old 06 June 2003   #43
erm no, this is a modeling competition, thats why it limitations are things like 2500-4000 tri's and 2 512 textures.

obviously concept is required as its a design your own comp, but the model is the end product.

Old 06 June 2003   #44
It didn't say tris earlier, that was why I asked.

and since its game art, all polygons are assumed to be tri's, no question about that.

i have a question regarding the normal maps, etc. If we decide to use them, do they have to fall within the (2) 512 x 512 constraints? or can we have them in addition to those two base sheets?

Old 06 June 2003   #45
1>
How do you guys will judge the comp ?
How do a Character has a chance to win in front of Characters + vehicle and/or scene ??
How can you guys make it fair ?
2>
How should we render our normal mapping ?
Except the Max 5 screen preview I don't know anyway to render it (except some game engines)
3>
Can the Vehicle be an animal or at least organic ?

Cheers

share thread