Andalusian Horse WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Andalusian Horse WIP

Progress on the Mesh Horse Avatar for Second Life. Breed: Andalusian. Shown with the mesh head and sculpt ears. Ears are part of related project but temporary on this one. Body still needs a lot of work. Front hooves done. Back hooves do not have bottoms yet.

Head to be integrated once I am confident the neck looks correct.
Modeled in Hexagon 2.57

Looking for feedback on how its looking so far.
Current Progress: back hooves attached, working on detail, adjustments, topography.

I'll be working on this more next week, my weekends are typically long. I'll post more progress and Wireframe views.

Old 11 November 2013   #2
Model Done

Progress on the Andalusian Horse Avatar. Model done, finally! Happy with it and can not find anything to fix :P. Note this is a young horse and the base model, more fleshed/mature horses will come after this. As it is this young Spanish horse will be able to pass as other Spanish Horses and Warmbloods.
You can see the teeth better in the head shots but I'm keeping them low detail. The Wolf teeth are separate from the front teeth so they can be hidden. Working on the tongue now to finish it up.

Old 11 November 2013   #3
Hey

Are you sure about your references for the horse?
Andalusians stand out for they powerful chest muscles and strong neck while yours is looking more slender in that area, more like an english horse (can't recall what the race is called) would.
Antonio Bandera's horse in Zorro was an Andalusian, I believe.

Edit - Oh, I missed the bit where you said it's was a young horse - maybe that's the cause.

Old 12 December 2013   #4
I'm no horse expert but to me it looks boxy in the rear view image--there's a strong almost 90-degree angle between the horizontal line along the back and the vertical lines up the sides of the back legs. (the top-left most shot in your montage image)

If you post wireframe you could get better critique. There are some small spots with weird shading and angles (cheeks, neck, clavicle, crease along underbelly), but it's hard to give suggestions for improvement without seeing the polyflow.

Old 12 December 2013   #5
If you're going for a realistic horse you need to spend more time studying the anatomy. There are basic proportional and anatomical problems with this model that make it more of a caricature than a depiction of a real horse.

You first need to understand general horse anatomy really well and from there begin to study the conformation of specific breeds. While body types very widely within a breed, due to sex, age, condition and blood lines, there are certain characteristics that define the breed. When you are able to recognize those traits you can create a convincing sculpture that is breed specific.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread