Miranda Kerr 3D model (Demo Reel Project)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Miranda Kerr 3D model (Demo Reel Project)

hello,

i posted this models head a couple weeks ago and i though id update my progress. I would love to get another perspective on this model I've been working on it for a while now and i could really use some constructive criticism.

so the overall goal for this is to use in my demo reel but I'm having issues with the hair and now i think i will have to redo the hair entirely. the problem is when i hit play on the time slider maya freezes up. i used the fibermesh to curve method of making hair so i think the output curves are just too much for the system to handle. I either have to start from scratch or when i do the fibermesh to curve lower the curve output. if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know, it would be greatly appreciated.

Another issue i know i'm going to run into is the fact that i have never done a rig for pose before. I was just wondering if anyone would like to suggest a workflow for that process. Ive seen tutorials where they used a file reference so the rig is created in a separate scene and the model referenced in. if my overall goal is to create a animated camera with a posed model, is this a valid option or should i just create the rig in the model file?

please let me know what you think!

Thank you

Photo Reference

Old 04 April 2013   #2
Hi topherdeleon.

Welcome to the tough area I am not going to waste time on the good stuff in the character because you know that already, but will try help with what I see that I think can be improved.

The anatomy does not look good overall. This has nothing to do with realism or stylistic approaches but that structure and muscle flow are not effective, attractive or appealing. The cosmetics of the female form are complex and very subtle. Being able to sculpt an expressive character makes the difference between a piece of communicative art and a clay puppet. I think your best bet would be to make as many figure studies as you can in a sculpting application to improve your figure work. All other technical aspects are less important than the base form. Really tiny errors in a form can make it look gooney, like knobby knees and crossed eyes. No muscles or volumes in the wrong place will destroy the illusion of limbs that have weight or presence.

As far as hitting play and having your software try to deal with hair in realtime: unless there are tricks I am not aware of mostly hair is only for final rendering and test area renders while you are creating it. Once you have a good model mostly you will want to optimize it by incorporating the use of normal, displacement or vector displacement maps so you get the maximum detail out of the figure with minimum polycount. This makes rigging easier. There is not so much rigging for posing as there is just straight out rigging for animation and using that to pose the character.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Last edited by Kanga : 04 April 2013 at 09:05 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Thanks kanga!!!
I appreciate the critique! I've been recently working on getting the likeness for the face down and now i realize the body needs alot of work as well. I'm gonna go back and do the best i can to revise the anatomy and i will update soon! hopefully i can get you to look at it again when i put some more work into this model!! Thanks again!

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread