Human Anatomy and Topology

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2012   #16
I think you let the ears "pull out" the sides of the head too much. For the rest, it looks good.

Old 11 November 2012   #17
Day 3 Head Sculpture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Head_03_Front.jpg (60.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Head_03_Side.jpg (53.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 11 November 2012   #18
Day 4 Sculpture !
Need some feedback to make sure I'm on the right path.

Old 11 November 2012   #19
CollDet Yeah ears are a bit strange looking. I think soon I'll be focusing on a different parts of the head (ears, eyes, lips etc.) right after I'm confident with the generic face/head shape.

Old 11 November 2012   #20
I've been waiting on Hippydrome to get this e-book out all year. It's still not there yet, but there's a lots of bits and pieces at his site you might find helpful.

http://hippydrome.com/

The best text I've found on facial topology for animation is Jason Ospia's Stop Staring

http://tinyurl.com/bnlc3ym

Topology's primarily a concern for animation, as others have said. It's really at this point a separate concern from form. When it comes to form, it's all about your ability to observe and that comes from time and practice in any medium. My first suggestion hence is to set aside the computer and sign up for some figure drawing classes at your local community college. This will be relatively cheap and get you in front of real physical models with guided practice.

If that's not an option you want to pursue, there's others for self study. Anatomy tools has some good products that might help you establish proportions for a solid foundation of form. Check out these:

http://tinyurl.com/bu7amlo

http://tinyurl.com/cbc2f27

and this DVD

http://tinyurl.com/d7next7

For a practical bit of advice, I note that you're working consecutively on that same head over days. This, I feel, is the wrong way to go. If you look at the progression of those reference busts I linked above, you'll see that that first basic proportions get established. Then roughs of the basic features. Then refinement. If the first isn't right, anything after is wrong. So what I would advise to do in your zbrush study is for the time being limit yourself to stage one of those reference busts. Establish the basic planes of the face, not details of eyes and eyelids. Just rough, large masses. See how far you can push a face in lets say 30 minutes, going for clear simple forms. Then discard it an do it again. Get used to throwing these away, they are studies, nothing more. Try to do different facial types at this very crude level of refinement until you're comfortable establishing it. Then and only then, move on to a second stage of refinement, maybe spending two to four hours on a piece. Discard it and move on to the next when you're done. Only when you've got maybe twenty or so of those, should you look through, find the one with the best proportions and select IT for a longer study. You can spend a couple days on that one, but you'll learn much much more, I think, by doing all those quick throw aways. It will also allow you to loosen up and really experiment as opposed to trying to "get it right".

Anyway, that's my two bits. Hope it helps.

Old 12 December 2012   #21
Thank you nimajneb for your advise and great links.
I've already ordered some drawing (human/anatomy) DVDs plus got a few e-books like "Realistic Game Characters", "Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist".

I know what you mean when you say that I have to get base shapes first and I'm going for that now, at least trying.

Right now I want to understand the skull's shape and that's what I got so far (see attached). Probably going to model another one but simple one (planes)

P.S. All the head models I've got above, I did each one of them from scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skull_03Persp.jpg (66.8 KB, 15 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #22
liking this a lot better already! there is shape and character in the heads, good job. which brushes are you using?
also modeling a skull is very different from a face... a skull easily looks good because you recognize it as a skull very fast, but don't see if the anatomy is correct as fast as with a face...
you are used to seeing faces, you saw a couple of tens of thousands already if not more, while you rarely see a skull. But its good to use a skull on the other hand to give a face the right shape. I mean you have one sticking in your own head and you "feel" the shape its giving your face, the cheekbones the jaw, the nose ect...

so it is one thing modelling a face and carving structure in it base on what you know about a skull, but it's an other thing sculpting a skull and building that up to a face... if you do the later make sure your skull is correct, and i don't mean by the looks of it but really correct. use a model sheet for that if you wanna go there... i suggest using the first method to start of.

Last edited by jister : 12 December 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #23
Hey jister
I;m glad you like it and see some progress in my work.
Mostly I'm using Move, Standart, Dan_Standart, Sculpt, Sculpt_B brushes.

Once again you are right that people wouldn't be able to see mistakes if there is any when looking at the skull. I'm sure there are few I made and I'll be working on that.

Here some work I did lately (see att.)
Trying to sink in my head all the anatomy by sculpting it.

Old 12 December 2012   #24
oops, didn't attach one :S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skull_04Front.jpg (66.7 KB, 16 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #25
Looks like mr Big Head

You might want to try the clay brushes, they are great to define mass and give you a lot of control.

Old 12 December 2012   #26
CollDet lol
Yeah i'll try and test out most popular brushes.

Here is my first attempt to sculpt "Hitman" character. Please tell me what you think and point out mistakes if you see any.
Thanx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hitman_3quater.jpg (24.9 KB, 14 views)

Old 12 December 2012   #27
47's head is not as wide, and he's got a very pronounced line where th maxilla runs under his skin. Did you use references?

Old 12 December 2012   #28
Use reference...
This is the absolute pinnacle of character modelling or sculpting. Any body that does not use reference and work is in the industry has either been doing 3d since the 90's - is lying or is very new to the whole process.
Worry about topology later. Get a base mesh with no features and just practice sculpting forms, don't bother with details. If you have done some Ryan Kingslien tuts you can recognise that he starts of blocking out forms and making landmarks for places of interest on the face.
Get a good sculpting/anatomy book and take it with you everywhere. Analyse peoples faces on the bus or tube. It will take years to get to the point that you do not need ref.
I was sculpting an obese woman into a thin woman for a client just yesterday, and had no ref, it was not impossible but I knew where the mistakes were, if your presenting work that you are winging you need to know what looks right. To do that you will need alot of experience examining faces and anatomy.

MY HMC

Old 12 December 2012   #29
Hi! Here is my most recent work. I would appriciate any criticism. Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woman_Head_01.jpg (89.6 KB, 33 views)

Old 01 January 2013   #30
CollDet
Yeah I used couple of references. However it was more of a quick sculpt and I was hoping to see some obvious mistakes I make when I sculpt or maybe someone could point it out.

Airflow
Thanx for the tips. I'm actually do look at peoples' faces on the bus/train but I find myself staring at someone and it's a bit creepy haha

Anyway I'm back from xmas/NY holidays and can't wait to get back to sculpting.))

reply share thread