Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-22-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
Racquel
portfolio
Racquel Samuel
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Beauty

Painted last year. All critiques to improve will be greatly appreciated. Still new to this digital painting but I've learnt a lot from other artists. Just looking to make this painting and all the others that I will paint be more professional

Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 AM   #2
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Hi Racquel
Looks like you enjoyed making this!
In terms of representing an attractive and expressive figure I think the piece is not really very strong. The composition and paint work are not really dynamic. I think you should be looking at artists like Bumskee here and Salaryman over at conceptart.org.

Also showing a piece from last year shouldn't be necessary because you are doing many paintings per day
Keep it going
Cheers

Old 03-24-2012, 06:04 AM   #3
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

There are quite a bit of problems in your painting, and these problems aren't ones that someone points them out and you can just go and fix them, because the problems are all related to you lack of mastery of the critical foundations of visual art.

The anatomy/figure has problems, and I suggest you read this thread on what you can do about it: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...955#post7242955

The colors are quite odd--the girl is essentially a yellow ochre, which is extremely unnatural in the context of the overall color cast of this image. (Skin tone can be any color--blue, green, red, purple--it doesn't matter, but it has to match the context of the overall color cast of the scene.) You need to think about the color cast of your light sources and then depict the various local colors in your scene according to the color cast of your light sources (as well as consider the effects of radiosity).

Your brushwork is inconsistent. It's okay to have rough vs. smooth brushwork, but you have to have a coherent strategy for your brushwork assignment in the image. Think about your hierarchy of brushwork from rough to smooth, and macro to micro details, and then think about where your focal points are, what elements are complementary but not important, where your strongest contrast areas are, the hierarchy of edges going from sharp, firm, soft, to lost, and how those edge hierarchies relate to the previously mentioned factors.

If you haven't yet, I suggest you read through the sticky threads in the Art Techniques & Theories forum (linked below in my signature). You will find a lot of very helpful resources there that will aid you in your artistic growth.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
Racquel
portfolio
Racquel Samuel
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines

Thank you both so much for the critique. You are both correct with your responses and I have been practicing more drawing anatomy, which has been quite helpful. Clearly I need to focus on lighting and painting techniques. I have been creating other paintings but I'm not ready to post them in this forum as yet. Again thank you both, you have made me even more determined to become a better artist.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread