Recommended Sticky - Do not export compressed from AE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

04 April 2010
Here's a good explanation of it:

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/term.cfm/multipass

04 April 2010
Quote: Does anyone know if Avids DNxHD is any good? I hear its the equivalent to Prores for us pc users.

Yes it is any good especially for editing but not a common codec so you better stick with H264.
And it's the equivalent for FCP's ProRes for Avid users on Mac OS too.

07 July 2010
So what if I have the problem of rendering then re-rendering then re-re-rendering..

By this I mean I use Sony Vegas to edit on my PC (I know I'm sorry) and I film with a Canon Rebel t2i in HD (large .mov files) .. Now I want to apply some color correction and effects in AE so should I render the raw footage FIRST before editing in Vegas .. (files would be 30 Gig's +) or should I create my video then apply the effects after the fact.. ?

And if the second option is better I know have the problem of rendering from mov. to .wmv. in Vegas then bringing the wmv. in AE to render back to a mov.?

I skimmed through most of these replies and nothing caught my eye so forgive me if this has been answered already I'm just not sure what to do...

Thanks

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by Age180: By this I mean I use Sony Vegas to edit on my PC (I know I'm sorry) and I film with a Canon Rebel t2i in HD (large .mov files) .. Now I want to apply some color correction and effects in AE so should I render the raw footage FIRST before editing in Vegas .. (files would be 30 Gig's +) or should I create my video then apply the effects after the fact.. ?

Editing on a home PC should never involve huge, uncompressed files, because it slows down your system enormously, and thereby your creative real-time workflow. But the T2i's MOV files are already heavily compressed, so you might be able to use them as they are. Alternatively, you may create your own "offline" material, by converting all the mov files to smaller resolutions with more compression (a frame-by-frame JPG compression is also better for editing than the motion based MPG, H264 etc).

Then you have to re-create a lossless master in After Effects ("onlining"), to do your VFX and grading.

If you worked with the original files in Vegas, you should be able to export a lossless master from there, without any quality loss. Just make sure there's no de-interlacing or anything being applied to the clips in Vegas. Double-check in After Effects that your Vegas render is a perfect match to the original files.

If you used compressed files to edit in Vegas, you'll have to re-create the film in After Effects.

Typically I do this manually clip by clip, because I've always been to lazy to check out the alternatives, and I never trusted a Vegas-AE solution to be stabile... but that's maybe just me being old fashioned. And it feels like a stupid thing to do, because it's so mechanical that it SHOULD be automated. I think you can automate it easily from Premiere to AE (because they're both Adobe), but I don't think there's an easy way from Vegas to AE. There's a script out there called Automatic Duck, which should do something along those lines, but I've never used it...

Good luck!

- Jonas

12 December 2010
Originally Posted by Mylenium: Nope, absolutely not. Your thinking is crooked in that it would only have real value if we are strictly sticking to an 8bpc RGB/ 10bpc YUV workflow. But hey, this is 2007, who does that anymore? Even so, it becomes a question of which quantization and color space transforms CoDecs employ and neitehr of the choices you provided gives any clear and predictable results in that regard. The only reliable formats that can truly count as "lossless" are

a) uncompressed image files that
b) maintain the native color space,
c) do not impose wrong Gamma profiles,
d) can hold additional color management information/ color profiles and
e) ideally support larger bit-depths.

From within AE this limits it pretty much to TIF, PSD and OpenEXR. You are mostly proposing non-standardized formats and procedures which is absolutely wrong and terrible to do. Can you even remotely assume that let's say HuffYUV will have a version compatible with the then-successor of Windows Vista in 6 or 7 years? You can't and therefore anyone would be ill-advised to follow your procedures.

Mylenium

You do realise that every good lossless image format out there uses some kind of compression, yes?

The point of a lossless codec is that it doesnt degrade the image quality in any way. Yes, it is verry silly to use uncompressed formats/codecs.

01 January 2017
hi

If you want to add after effect to your video you can use this software tohttp://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...p?f=10&t=534735 .

reply share thread