CGTalk > Software > Compositing Software > Adobe After Effects
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-15-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
hkb
portfolio
USA

problems with frame rate?

I shot this video at 24 fps and when I render it in AE at 24 it is missing frames. I've had to lower it to 10 fps to play with any completeness... still misses but 90% of the footage is there. Anyone ever have this problem? I still need to add some sound in FC X... I'm worried how that will turn out.

Most of my FX stuff come of the web and plays well in the AE timeline maybe a mismatch of frame rates?

HELP.

I just lowed it to 8 FPS... is this normal? My first time in AE.... seems strange.

Last edited by hkb : 04-15-2013 at 03:53 AM.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
APerez
portfolio
antoine perez
North London, United Kingdom

Please post:

- what type of footage are you importing?
- what framerate is the footage interpreted at?
- what is the composition framrate?
- what is the output format?
- what is the output framerate?

Hopefully while going through these questions you might find the problem.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
I just lowed it to 8 FPS... is this normal?
No, absoluetely not.
APerez asked the right questions, if you answer them we surely can find a solution.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
hkb
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerez
Please post:

- what type of footage are you importing?
- what framerate is the footage interpreted at?
- what is the composition framrate?
- what is the output format?
- what is the output framerate?

Hopefully while going through these questions you might find the problem.

All I know is that the footage was shot at 1920 x 1080 24 fps. I had to lower it in AE to render (partially) correctly, after several tires I found that the best rate worked at 8 fps on the Render Settings Menu. It still appears to be missing some short duration flashes of frontal gun shots.

That is the most I can provide.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
APerez
portfolio
antoine perez

You can answer every question I asked if you have access to After effects and the original footage. If you don't understand some of the terms, that's where you have to investigate.
To be clear, your problem doesn't sound like a common issue that I can give you a solution to. It sounds like you have messed up somewhere in the framerate declarations, and this is where I want you to look. If you can't find theses options, there's nothing I can do.

- what type of footage are you importing? (avi, mov, image sequence?)
- what framerate is the footage interpreted at? (right click on a footage in the project panel -> interpretation -> main)
- what is the composition framrate? (right click on the composition in the project panel -> composition settings)
- what is the output format? (avi, mov, image sequence?)
- what is the output framerate? (render settings in the render queue)

Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
hkb
portfolio
USA

Quote:
You can answer every question I asked if you have access to After effects and the original footage. If you don't understand some of the terms, that's where you have to investigate.
To be clear, your problem doesn't sound like a common issue that I can give you a solution to. It sounds like you have messed up somewhere in the framerate declarations, and this is where I want you to look. If you can't find theses options, there's nothing I can do.

- what type of footage are you importing? (avi, mov, image sequence?) .mov
- what framerate is the footage interpreted at? (right click on a footage in the project panel -> interpretation -> main) 23.976
- what is the composition framrate? (right click on the composition in the project panel -> composition settings) ?
- what is the output format? (avi, mov, image sequence?) .mov
- what is the output framerate? (render settings in the render queue)23.976

I hope this helps. When I change the output frame rate to 8 fps I have the best results but it isn't prefect.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
APerez
portfolio
antoine perez

The composition is the asset with a film tile logo in the project panel. It would be good to have this framerate as well.

When you looked at the framerate in the footage interpretation, was it set to "use frame rate from file" or "conform to this framerate" ?

Are you able to share the footage and project for more troubleshooting?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
hkb
portfolio
USA

Quote:
The composition is the asset with a film tile logo in the project panel. It would be good to have this framerate as well.

When you looked at the framerate in the footage interpretation, was it set to "use frame rate from file" or "conform to this framerate" ?

Are you able to share the footage and project for more troubleshooting?

Not sure why but the "interpret footage" can't be selected.

The Composition Settings (menu) is 29.97 (Drop Frame selected).

Last edited by hkb : 04-15-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

The compositions framerate should be 23.976.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
hkb
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimski
The compositions framerate should be 23.976.

Yes... okay should I also change any added effects (.mov) to that same frame rate?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
APerez
portfolio
antoine perez

Were you able to make it work?

The footages you import all have their own framerates which should be respected. The most important is that your footages playback at the correct speed right?

re-interpreting and converting framerates are completely different operations. Interpreting means you're not modifying the original footage, but it will play at a different speed (24fps footage interpreted at 48fps = twice as fast playback). Converting a footage to a new framerate means you're maintaining the playback speed, and the software will have to figure out were to add or remove frames to make that happen.

You have to understand that converting a footage from one framerate to another is a lossy operation, there is no perfect solution. You will either have missing frames, doubled frames, or frames blended together. Try to avoid it if possible.

Using a 24fps footage in a 30fps composition will result in a framerate conversion. With the set-up you are using, you were converting the framerate twice: once when dropping a footage into a comp with different framerate, another time when rendering the comp to a different framerate. The second conversion is the one that requires frames to be dropped and that's what you are seeing.

I'm not sure what your delivery specifications are, but they should dictate how you work. Do you need to deliver a 24fps footage? Just set the composition and output framerates to match your footage (23.976). That way your original footage is not being converted and every frame will be kept. However if you decide to import additional footages with varying framerates, they will need to be converted to work in 23.976fps by dropping frames.
If you need to deliver in 30fps, your original footage will require additional frames (you'll see blended frames, but no dropped ones). In this scenario I suggest setting the comp and output to 30fps, that way you'll be able to see from inside after effects how the conversion behaves.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
hkb
portfolio
USA

Looks better now.... still need to play with it more. I'm learning. Thanks to both of you for all your help.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:08 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread