Does Element 3D + After Effects can compete with Nuke for FX compositing ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Does Element 3D + After Effects can compete with Nuke for FX compositing ?

Hi

Does the plugin Element 3D from video copilot brings full 3D into after effects ? I've alwas heard that the main difference between nuke and after efefcts (except nodal vs layers) is that after effects couldn't import 3D models (with lights, camera etc.) and so it was not made for VFX compositing, so does this plugin change the deal about 3D in after effects or is it jsut for creating easily texts in 3D etc. ?

I'd like to import .obj and max files from 3DS max (explosions, fire, smoke, objects etc. well everything for FX compositing) with everything (light, camera, textures etc.) and work on it with rotation etc. as i would in Nuke.

So does this plugin do all of that ?

Thank you

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Wink

Element 3D brings a whole new way to work using 3D model (Single 3D Model obj, Obj Sequence & C4D Native format) i haven't use Nuke so i can't comment about how they manage 3D work on there software but in after effects using element 3D brings more potential to AE in this field of 3D workflow....
Check Videocopilot.net 3D Element Tutorials and Features Videos so you can have a pretty wide idea of what can you do using such a great plugin.

P.S. there is a few Tutorial over Youtube on creating even 3D Models inside AE using Masks check it out you may get impress cuz i really am and still impress on things you can do with it...

Old 03 March 2013   #3
No max files in Elements 3d and I'm pretty sure explosions, fire, smoke etc will have to be rendered and comped in 2d like every where else.

The main problem with AE wasn't the lacking 3d capabilities, even in the days when Shake ruled the earth the only 3d you could do in a compositing app was placing cards.

Elements 3d might be a game changer for motion graphics but I doubt that everyone will jump ship and switch to AE for feature film compositing just for that.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread