Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
MadroneStudios
portfolio
USA

Twixtor & Greenscreen: Best Practices

Hi Guys,
I'm new here and everyone seems very knowledgable so I'm reaching out for some help.

I'm working in AfterEffects CS6. I have footage of two dancers that's been shot on greenscreen. I'd like to use Twixtor (motion interpolation and time-scaling plugin) to stretch out some of the key moments with the keyed footage.

The question is: what is the best effect chain/order of operations to achieve the maximum quality possible? From what I can tell so far, it seems the best is to Twixtor the video first, then greenscreen that output. However, AE crashes when precomposing the Twixtor'd footage then adding the keying effect (Keylight) back on.

I'm looking for the best order of operations from anyone who's attempted this (or thought about it), as well as a recommendation for better keying software (keylight gets the job done but I know better are results possible).

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
andrasolah
portfolio
Hungary

I had almost exactly the same situation a few weeks ago I could get away with the simple "stretch" feature in AE.

But a good advice is rendering out each step which prevents confronting the effects and also speeds up RAM previews. Do a nice keying, and Twixtor the keyed footage. If you use Twixtor before keying, the blurred edges can be much harder to key out I guess!

For keying with Keylight the best technique for me was using "separate color" on the green channel to boost up the green (100, -100, 100, 100), removing grain, and applying Keylight. I used this keyed out layer as an alpha matte on the original footage as the Keylighted one was just too noisy. After you just have to get the green spills off your original layer if there's any.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread