Card Flip in After Effects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Card Flip in After Effects

Hi everyone I would like to make a similar card flip like you see here in the video

video

My problem is the front picture and the back picture. I dont know how the best option to put 2 different pictures on the back and on the front of a card. The card will be a very slim paper. I tried to put 2 pictures very tight so the distance between was 0.1 px. It worked for a rotation, but when im adding another picture under that card, some problem occur (when I flip the card to make visible the picture under that) and I have to go up to 1px to get rid of that problem I can make a video to show you guys what do I mean any help ?(sorry for my english)

Old 02 February 2013   #2
You may be better off just rendering the cards in a 3D program them compositing them in...I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but it's my best guess. I don't know if AE supports double-sided 3d objects.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
You can actually create these in AE. There is a little way to work around it. You can create 1 comp with the card face, and then one comp with the card backing. Place both of these into a new comp and make both of them 3D. Then offset one of the layers (either the card face or card back) by like .5 or 1 pixel in Z space. You can add a null and parent both layers to the null (make the null 3D). Then you can rotate the null in 3D space and you should see both sides of the card.

If you need to add that card into another comp you can add it into the comp and if you make it 3D and I think turn on the switch (the one that looks like the starburst, I call it the vectorize switch b/c if you have a vector shape and use it you can scale it up as much as you want). IT also allows for the comp to retain its 3D data so you would be able to rotate it around and not have to use a 3D program. I have used this system a couple times. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread