View Full Version : mental ray crashes at same point each time

what?
07 July 2011, 10:50 AM
hi,
i'm having really bad crashes with some scenes someone has given me and i can't figure out how to stop it.
every time i try and render a frame it crashes at the same point, i.e. 35% done. i don't think it's a memory issues because i still have plenty of ram free. if i change the size of the render i do get further, but to get some of them to finish rendering i have to change the size to like 10x8 pixels, so it's not very useful.
i've tried changing every setting i can think of, and the only way i can get it to render is to change all the shaders on it to the default lambert.
does anyone have any idea's what i could do?
cheers

kiryha
07 July 2011, 01:39 PM
Submit frame for batch rendering with verbosity level=progress massages and look into mayaRendelog.txt
It should give you an idea of whats going on.

what?
07 July 2011, 11:04 AM
yeah i tried that and was no the wiser.
i managed to narrow it down to a shader/texture in each scene. although it was different in each.
weird thing is it renders fine in 2011. just not 2012. weird.
thanks for the help thou.

kiryha
07 July 2011, 11:19 AM
What was the latest strings in mayaRenderLog?
And nothing weird that switching software vertions will cause problems. Unfortunately.

CGTalk Moderation
07 July 2011, 11:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.