XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : which tablet is best?

10-28-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm relatively new to the digital art world. Just got my copy of PS 7 and was wondering what the best tablet to use with this particular program is?

I figured this would be a great opportunity to get professional opinions on what the best tablets are and why!

10-28-2003, 11:46 PM

Im no a professional but majority professional use's wacom. You can find it at http://wacom.com for more details :)

10-29-2003, 08:27 AM
;) Thanks zero, I'd heard that name mentioned before but didn't realize what it was. I checked out the site and the tablets seem pricey, for someone who isn't yet a professional and on a students budget, but they look great. Maybe I'll check ebay to see if there are any used ones out there.

I notice some people create beautiful art with a mouse. I'd be interested to know who out there prefers what tool when it comes to digital art.

10-29-2003, 11:03 AM
No problem. Right now im using Graphire 2 6x4 which is good for begiiner. But if you want to get a tablet you should go for big area spaces.

Ian Jones
10-29-2003, 01:51 PM
This question seems to crop up every few hours... unfortunately. :rolleyes: :D

Do a search or look at the other threads in this forum. Read other ppl's posts and questions and you'll probably find you hardly ever need to ask a question again. I learn a lot that way.

Oh, and ZEROSKULL... not everyone actually likes using a big tablet. Many people suggest that you choose a tablet that suits your drawing style. For example, if you draw small and delicately then obviously a large tablet is going to be pretty clumsy, and vice versa. The Wacom website actually has a 'which tablet should I choose' FAQ that may help you.

10-29-2003, 04:50 PM
wacom have a new series graphiers, seems to be targeted at amature/avid digital painters.

10-29-2003, 09:23 PM
This question seems to crop up every few hours... unfortunately.

very true, all the time...

yeah also true about the size, depends on how you like to work. As I recall the most favoured size was 6X8, some claimed 4X6 too small and 9X12 too big.

yeap check wacom.com and also try group search on google too.

10-30-2003, 12:47 PM
I have been debating on getting one myself (again). Though last time there were hardly any decent tutorials I could find at all on drawing/painting with tablets so was a bit weary.

10-30-2003, 02:48 PM
TheWriter - drawing and painting with a tablet is similar to doing it with a pencil or paintbrush? Yeah it works a little different with software and you've got to deal with the whole 'I'm looking at the screen whilst drawing somewhere else' but if you can hold a pencil you should pick it up reasonably quickly. :)

I've used a few different sized tablets ranging from the oversized A4 to the 'wee' A5 Intuos 2 I have at work now. I also have an A5 Intuos at home. The oversized A4 was, for me, a joke! After a weeks drawing on it my arm would be exhusted. I personally prefer the A5... but each to their own.

Also be weary of cheap tablets, the company I work for thought they'd hit the jackpot when they forked out for around 20 tablets at about 40 a pop. Seemed sweet until the artists started using them... no-one could draw a smooth curved line! I'm not suggesting stick with Wacom, just make sure you buy from somewhere you can get your money back if you're not happy with it!

11-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Thanks all! I think a medium sized Wacom is going on the top of my x-mas list!

11-03-2003, 05:26 PM
Im still debating on that.. Wacom or Bigger monitor..

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.