View Full Version : 3D Studio Max easy question with maybe not such an easy answer...

KaiserAdler
06 June 2011, 04:53 PM
Hi!

Software : 3D Studio Max 8.0
My problem is simple : I have two vertexes, one is in place on a plane and the other is slightly off on one axis. How do I align the second vertex to the first, without getting through the cumbersome process of finding the coordinates of the first vertex?
I ask this, because at some moment I might have 100 vertexes that I need to align on one axis for instance to another 100 vertexes.
Now, the procedures I tied and do not work :
- scale does not work as it moves both vertexes trying to get them to a common center, and the first is already into position and I do not want it to be moved
- align - I tried all the options inside, but the results are all unwanted and chaotic, none of them coming close to what I want
Is there any elegant method to align a vertex to another vertex that is already in place, a method that does not require selecting and deselecting vertexes in order to find the coordinates of the target vertex?
Thank you in advance!

Best regards!

Psyk0
06 June 2011, 09:00 PM
Another solution: select the vert you want to move, activate snap and snap it to the other one?

KaiserAdler
06 June 2011, 09:06 PM
Good ideea, but for some reason I can't make it work. The results for me are the same as when using align. I have also used constraints when using your ideea, but the result is the same (yet less chaotic than without constraints, wich is a total mess). What I have used as target for the snap are vertexes.

Psyk0
06 June 2011, 09:15 PM
Show me an example of your mesh, i just tried to snap one to another and it worked...my snap settings are set to vertex and midpoint.

Arrimus
06 June 2011, 10:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-cgiT47Vew

KaiserAdler
06 June 2011, 09:13 AM
Thank you both. Snap worked on another try, and I shall see why it didn't from the first time.

AbsorbentGhost
06 June 2011, 09:24 PM
what project are u working on???

KaiserAdler
06 June 2011, 10:12 PM
I have more projects I am working on, most of them related to model clothing, but the question was in actuality an atempt from my part to improve my work efficiency.

AbsorbentGhost
06 June 2011, 10:16 PM
on a scale of 1-10 what grade would u say u are??
honestly speaking??

I have more projects I am working on, most of them related to model clothing, but the question was in actuality an atempt from my part to improve my work efficiency.

CGTalk Moderation
06 June 2011, 10:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.