LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : How to render particles reflection on an object

05-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey guys,

using 3ds max 2010, pflow and VRay 1.5 I have an urgent question:

I want to do a remake of that Back to the future thing, when the car speeds up and there are these crazy particles streaming along the car from the front to the rear end....

I started on animating my car, rendering everything out, next step I imported the camera into a new scene, worked out the particle system which could be rendered now as well... one of my major concerns is, how can I get the reflections of the particles on the car body?
I would say, set the car body as a matte object with an alpha contribution of -1 in the VRay properties and set everything invisible to camera - and then?? Somehow I am little stuck since this is one of my first tries with pflow :P
If I render my particles now, I would just get the particles which are not hidden by the car body, but when I composite everything later with After Effects, I would really like the reflections of these particles on my shiny green car hood as well.... any ideas on how to continue from her?

Thanks for any useful hnts,

**Edit: Since I used to work with VRay only, it never came to my thoughts that there should be some kind of Matte Material in MentalRay as well... stupid me :P so really not worth answering **

CGTalk Moderation
05-21-2011, 05:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.