XM Magdalena 3D print, GGeorgy (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : emit from "cut" face

04-09-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm struggling with an effect where I have a simple box with a scapel modifier (or slice) and I want to emit particals from only the face thats gets created as the scapel moves across the box. There doesnt seem to be a way to emit from object id's. Scapel can assign an id to the new face it makes, so this would work perfectly.

I have messed about with making a muti sub object with 2 materials, as the cut face gets a id of 2 the rest is 1, but I can not get the particles to emit based on the material either!

I think this is a very easy problem, just completely stuck!

Please help, client is very keen on the effect!

04-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Add Vol.Select modifier to the cut object, select faces by Material ID, then emit from Selected Faces.

04-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Worked first time, thanks Bobo.

On a slightly related subject! I have added this effect to a small collection of boxes and its very realtime, and responsive, but once I move it to an object that got 100 different elements, its very slow. How would you suggest is the best way to keep Pflow systems responsive, and managable?

EDIT: It seems to work better on collapsed geometry, not extruded splins. Also edit mesh is better than edit poly.

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2011, 07:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.