LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Importing defs from external py files

03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey everyone,

In order to tidy up a script i'm currently working on, i'm trying to put some of my defs into external py files in the documents/maya/scripts directory and impor them into the script editor. So for example, I have a file called which contains a def called checkStreetAccess(), and i'm importing it into the main script editor with 'import checkStreetAccess' followed by 'print checkStreetAccess.checkStreetAccess(). However, I then get the following error:

# Error: NameError: file C:/Users/Ben-i7/Documents/maya/scripts\ line 3: global name 'cmds' is not defined #

I have 'import maya.cmds as cmds' at the top of the external py files, as well as in the main script editor. Could anybody point out where i'm going wrong?

03-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Your module is called getNeighbors
Your definition is called checkStreetAccess()

You need to import the module:
import getNeighbors

and then call the method using the scope of the module:

It doesn't sound like you are doing this in your example? You may be confusing different files?

03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Sorry, ignore The file is

03-03-2011, 04:33 AM
Post the whole script and ill take a look.
You could try just:
import maya

then use maya.cmds.<command>

Are you within maya python tab when executing this?

03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for your help - I figured it out, just need to add a reload( checkRoadAccess ) to update all the changes I made!

Cheers, Ben

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2011, 12:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.