View Full Version : Need to unpeel a logo surface!! 3 letters

earwax69
02 February 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi, my client ask me if I can unpeel is logo... like ribbons floating around, then slowly going to form the letters, from down to up, following the curves of the letters.

A hard nut to crack for me in LW.

I dont even know how I will model the continuous peel spiraling around the letters..!

As for the animation, morph maybe?

guardonduty
02 February 2011, 09:30 PM
That's easy. Think about it and then draw it out. Use dimly lit sceens to disguise "awkward" transitions

earwax69
02 February 2011, 12:12 AM
heu yeah?? Im gonna try the morph way right now... but I doubt its going to be easy.

Carm3D
02 February 2011, 12:55 AM
An interesting challenge. Using ClothFX might be a good way about it. But the problem is un-fixing elements via an effector is no good while the ribbon is packed together into a logo. I would (painfully, because of experience) consider using bones and then perhaps clothFX to unfix it once the ribbon has cleared enough distance from the base shape. I once did an animation of a stent unraveling (http://www.carm3d.net/Media/Stent/Stent.htm) using lots of bones and IKBooster. It involved lots of bones and weightmap painting. Quite tedious. But it might get you 2/3rds of the way there.

Look on the bright side, at least it's only three letters!

earwax69
02 February 2011, 06:42 AM
Yes, cloth fx is giving me quite good results. And its fast to compute!

Edit: The turbulance wind really suck in LW... no way to drive my cloth with a turbulance procedural node??

Carm3D
02 February 2011, 08:44 AM
Yeah turbulence wind does suck. Try a cluster of donut winds parented to a rotating null.

earwax69
02 February 2011, 02:32 AM
Client changed is mind. Now he want the letters to inflate like balloons! pffff... 20 hours of work in the drain. At least balloon style is easy!

Carm3D
02 February 2011, 06:33 AM
Ugh.. I hope he's going to pay you for those 20 hours! :banghead:

earwax69
02 February 2011, 10:57 AM
No... its was a fixed price from the beginning. Im not complaining too much though... clients are coming back if they feel I listen to them and forgive their mistakes.

And its not like I dont like my job..!

Edit; by the way, I did the balloons too and finally they decided my first test was the best!! :cry:Of course my first test was the best!! Its for that I did it!!!

Carm3D
02 February 2011, 11:20 AM
Oh man... You got raped.

earwax69
02 February 2011, 03:03 AM
ouch :argh:

ranhell
02 February 2011, 02:26 PM
Hey Carm3D I like the Animation on pulling apart the stint....Nice work

Carm3D
02 February 2011, 02:54 PM
Thank you sir.

CGTalk Moderation
02 February 2011, 02:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.