LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Extruding foreign text characters?

01-27-2011, 09:23 PM
What's the secret to extruding foreign text characters like--> ทั่วโลก?
So far I'm getting sporadic results with XSI leaving out characters. Is this a Windows font thing or something? I'm on Win7 X64 Home Premium.

01-28-2011, 12:07 AM
Theoretically it should work if you have the correct fonts and Windows language packs installed. I just pasted the characters from your post above and it worked with no problem -- is that an actual example of something that didn't work for you? I'm on WinXP 32 though.

01-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Some fonts/packs are busted and will have either odd configurations or take shortcuts for some special characters.

Had issues ages ago with some characters when we were working on a commercial for the Middle East (it doesn't help not one of us had any knowledge of Arabic). It was solved by changing font back then.

Have you tried that?

01-28-2011, 03:32 PM
Have you tried converting the text to wireframe in Illustrator (or similar) and then importing with File / Import EPS?

01-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I have no clue what is the problem you are running into (it seems to work here fine with theArial Unicode MS), but try choosing a font of a larger point size to give some more detail to the splines if you run into weird intersections

CGTalk Moderation
01-28-2011, 09:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.