Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : 3D Head - Base Mesh Tutorial

01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
This is an intermediate level tutorial of a new technique that i have developed to make a base mesh for a generic head. It is for anyone, like me, that doesn't like starting with a blank canvas and building a base mesh poly by poly. It puts all the pieces in place and you then "simply" have to push the points around to sculpt the form.

I have been doing a bit of character modeling recently, and after another session of chasing triangles around a mesh trying to get some pretty edge loops; i decided to sit down and refine a very simple 3x3x3 box technique which i came up with in a while ago and can be found here: http://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2991.

It is now a slightly more complicated 6x5x4 box technique, but it gives you all the polygons you need for a pretty decent base mesh. The resulting mesh has been based on one by Scott Eaton... so if there are any polys out of place blame it on him ;)

Please note that the resulting mesh will be a pretty fugly looking box, but it is a box that when pushed and pulled into shape will give you a head with a pretty decent poly flow. It is also a base mesh only... to create the eyes and mouth you need to add more edge loops inside the existing ones to build up detail.

This tutorial requires you to know how to:
* create a cube
* Add edges
* Delete edges
* Inset Polygons
* Weld Vertices
* Ring cut faces

Time Frame
It should take around 10-15 mins to build the mesh, then around 45mins - 1 hr to push and pull the polys into place

I have also uploaded it here so you can see the tutorial as one image, and you can also download it as a PDF: http://web.me.com/dggd/Site/3D_Head_BaseMesh_Tutorial.html

I hope that someone finds this helpful, and that it isn't too confusing. If you have any questions please ask.

Good luck,
Dave :)

01-10-2011, 05:54 PM
so simple it's wonderful! i love it! tnx a lot!

01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Interesting, will definately try this out thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2011, 01:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.