LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Dynamically created Lights

10-14-2003, 09:44 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on how to dynamically create lights? I really want to have a character fly around creating lights in his path that die as he travells away, but without being able to instance lights onto particles that's a huge problem! Any suggestions would be fantastic.

10-14-2003, 09:58 PM
what about particles with glow? or triggering light amplitude with the passing of the character(I think a MEL script could handle that, or keyframing would work too).

just a couple ideas...

10-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Could you have the lights already created along a path and key the visibility as your character passes?

You might be able to create lights by running a script when collisions occur (can you collide with a templated object maybe?). Sounds a bit complicated too.

10-15-2003, 08:25 AM (final gather)

Jozvex, uses final gather to make object lights that are instanced and yada yada...should be just what your after :)

EDIT: down the bottom is the pic of what he does (only an example)

10-15-2003, 08:58 AM
Yeah, only my site is down till next month cause I went over the 1 gig bandwidth limit!!! :eek:

Using particle expressions you can create lights on each particle that then die etc

An example of that sort of thing can be found here:

You can download the scene file and everything!! That guys site is really cool.

10-15-2003, 10:56 PM
Well I can't use final gather or any tricks of particles + incandesance/glow because this is a lighting assignment to animate lights. So I'll definitely take a look at that page with scripting examples. Thanks.

10-24-2003, 04:43 AM

i did half of what u asked for

the lights are generated dynamically
just hit play and you will see

download the .rar file
and uncompress it with winrar

one thing though

you will have to keyframe the intensity of the lights

but definetely does a big chunk of what u asked for

hope it helps you

10-24-2003, 05:33 AM
Thanks a lot. I actually changed the focus of this project so this idea became obsolete to it but it's still a really awesome thing to do. Someone else posted a link to a site that had a sample of this effect as well and the script for it blew my mind, definitely really really cool. I will check yours out tomorrow or the next day and take a look, but I thank you for putting in the effort for me. I'll let ya know how it comes out.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.