LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : ISO Maya mirror shader advice

12-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi, this is my first time posting and I've been using Maya less than a year so I'll try to provide as much info as possible. Please let me know if you need more to go on.

I applied mia material x to the mirror and I'm having problems getting it to look just right. First off, let me know if I should use another material or shader. I did have a dgs material at first, but changed it to mmx so I could get more options.

Next, the reflection for the window isn't working out. As you can see; the light is way blown out in the mirror. I have spotlights behind the window to rim light the frame since it's a hopper style window and it's partially open. I originally had an area light there, but it wasn't working out so well. Would the spotlights be my problem, the MMX settings, both, something else?

Lastly, I need to make the mirror look dirty and old. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome. If I can get the aforementioned worked out though, I can possibly figure out the rest.

The render is with max samples at 2, but there's still a little noise along the floor since I didn't properly adjust the light samples yet. The textures aren't done yet either, just sort of came around to the mirror and now it's sucking up all of my time.

CGTalk Moderation
12-16-2010, 04:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.