View Full Version : Scripting Skills

newvans
12 December 2010, 07:33 PM
I noticed in some job descriptions for Riggers or 3D Artists, they ask that you have knowledge in scripting.

I would like to know what should an intermediate and advanced TD level of scripting should be at. And what is required of them.

I am a 3D artist coming from a traditional 2D background. I've rigged numerous characters, and feel i have a strong understanding of the rigging process. But i feel my scripting/coding game is weak.
Anything i know about scripting i have taught myself. Mainly in the past i've used script as a means to automate tasks and get the job done.

Could anyone explain in detail what is required of an intro level td/rigger and what to strive for in order to be a strong, poweruser....

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

NewVans

MattRennie
12 December 2010, 09:12 AM
'Mainly in the past i've used script as a means to automate tasks and get the job done.'

In a nutshell thats it. You won't write scripts just for writing scripts sake. You will be writing scripts/tools to fill holes in your package or to make a process faster. Things such as auto riggers, new weight mirroring tools, vertex re-orderers all that kind of fun stuff.

What you need to demonstrate is that the reason you wrote a tool was a good one and that it truly does speed up the workflow.

I also like to see nicely laid out interfaces - is the logic of their placement easy enough for someone with no experience with it able to understand what it's for and how to use it?

CGTalk Moderation
12 December 2010, 09:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.