Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Which pose?

10-13-2003, 02:10 AM
Which pose (base pose) do you prefer (1 or 2), when you are modeling human character, and WHY?

10-13-2003, 02:13 AM
Actualluy spread eagle is better with is arms out and legs spread apart to a lesser degree but not together as you have in 1.

At least for maya the initial settings for smooth bind are happier if there is seperation of the limbs.

10-13-2003, 03:01 AM
My first question is always: what will the range of motion be? Once that is answered, try to find the mean.

For example, if I'm only planning on doing simple leg animation, then the legs a little close together. If planning on doing Tae Kwan Do, then the legs further apart.

Same thing with shoulders and wrists.

Not always possible, but it does help.

10-13-2003, 09:32 AM
I prefer to model pose 2, I think it's the best way to get a good deformation when the legs open alot, and look of the shoulders will be good if I make the arms down...

Thanks gmask, Stroker for replying... :)

I post this, because I saw many artists here in WIP section take the pose 1...

10-13-2003, 01:35 PM
There's a great thread on this over on spiraloid:

I prefer modeling relaxed (2). Modeling Da Vinci creates stress in the limbs/deformation that needs to be corrected when rigging.

10-13-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the link mjm :)

10-16-2003, 11:56 AM
The best would be to make arms bent a little, not spread like this, and the legs apart a little. The character must look natural even in stance pose, because you will model extremity into your base pose, and during animation you could recieve awful artifact. For simple characters I`d suggest the classical T pose, but for complex characters I suggest what I mentioned. If you model in neutral (really neutral) pose, your animation would look more natural.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 09:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.