View Full Version : Best States 3D (movies/TV) Programs for International Students

11 November 2010, 11:15 PM
Hello, I'm about to finish a BA in Graphic Design & Visual Communication at the University of Wales. I would like to continue to 3D, career-wise.. I've studied 3Ds max for a year, but I heard maya is much better if you are into graphics & animation.

I'm originally from Israel, but the best 3d education is in the States..
So I'm considering 4 3D programs: Sheridan, Calarts, VFX and Ringling.

I'm interested in the cinema-kind 3D, not computer games.
I know there's not really a difference once you study the program, but hopefully the right program will get me the right connections & direction..

Money is a bit of an issue, since the States-university costs seem crazy for people out of the States.. :/
Is there a school that offers scholarships for international students?

What are the chances to get accepted for international students? Is my BA good for getting in?
What would I need to present (portfolio-wise, since i'm currently not really good in 3D) to get-in? What level do they search for?

How does it work after the program - do agencies pick graduates from a certain program?
Is it in any way easier to find a good job later on?

Sorry for all the questions :/
I really appreciate your help !

11 November 2010, 08:54 AM
I don't know about Sheridan, and don't even know what VFX is (did you mean to write VFS?), but I can tell you about Ringling and CalArts.

CalArts is decidedly not a 3d program. It's a character animation program that, somewhat grudgingly, teaches you a little about how to use 3d tools towards the end. It doesn't really sound like that's what you're looking for, but for what it is, it's probably the best in the world.

Ringling is much more about 3d, and over the course of the major covers almost all aspects of 3d production. The downside of that is that it can be a bit unfocused, and makes it hard to specialize in a chosen sub discipline. Also, they barely even give scholarships to domestic students; getting one as an international student is an extreme long shot.

You're odds of getting in our roughly the same as a domestic student. They won't really care about your previous degree, just your portfolio. In both cases, you need to have reasonably good life drawing and observation skills, with CalArts being a fair bit pickier than Ringling.

11 November 2010, 01:59 PM
Thank you so much for the tips,
and yes.. I did mean VFS (i was too late to correct it :/)

There's also a question of time.. I'm 21 now, if I finish VFS - by 23 I'll be out there for work.. Is there a significant difference between a student who studies an intensive 1 year program and one who studied 3/4 ?

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2010, 01:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.