View Full Version : Maya 2011 Missing Fog Shadows

Dispatch88
11 November 2010, 06:32 PM
Our school just installed Maya 2011 in the labs, I did as well at home. While helping a friend light a scene involving a stage and spotlight, we discovered that shadows would not be cast through a fog shape. By shadows I mean where you can see the streaks of light and/or absence of light in the fog. I tried doing an isolated test in a new scene with just a spotlight and a sphere and got the same result. I then did the same test at home and still got the same result. I've tried raytraced, depthmap, and Renderman DeepMap.

Has anyone else had this problem?

InfernalDarkness
11 November 2010, 08:03 AM
This isn't "missing".

Volumetric shadows (ray-marching) are always a pain. Are you using Maya Software renderer, or mental ray?

If you're using mental ray, search the web for info on the parti_volume node. This is how it's done.

It's not possible to ray-march in Maya Software "out of the box". You need to use another rendering engine to do this. Light fog is weak and inaccurate.

If you're looking for ease-of-use, Maya is the wrong software to have chosen.

CGTalk Moderation
11 November 2010, 08:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.