View Full Version : Need some car-modelling help

teraflop
10 October 2010, 02:07 PM
Hi!

I recently started modelling a car in C4D for the first time (I wasn't sure if this goes into the modeling or C4D board?)
I'm not a beginner but I've only really done box-modelling so far so this is new for me. I'm actually making some good progress but I keep running into little problems and I hope some of you could give me some tips on how to avoid them.

I'm using point-to-point modelling and Hypernurbs since from what I've heard that's how cars are usually done, at least in C4D. If there's a better or easier technique I'd love to hear about it though ;)
I know it's also possible with box modelling, but I want to learn something new and the final model should be fairly realistic and accurate.

Now, after having spent 3 days alone on the hood and having started over a couple of times, I think I'm starting to grasp the basic concept of how this technique, and especially the hypernurbs work. My main problem is that I keep getting weird dents, wrinkles and edges producing ugly shadows in my smoothed model.
I know this happens when you use too many cuts and that's exactly my problem, I'm having a hard time keeping my mesh clean and not using too many polys but still getting the precise shape down. Doing the rough shape is not a problem, but when I try to get sharp edges for example, I end up doing a lot of loop cuts (to avoid triangles) to further define the edges and that's when everything gets messy.

I've made this to show what I mean exactly: The wing looks pretty good so far, but those 2 circled edges need to be way sharper. But to do that I need to add more vertical lines (so I don't produce triangles) and when I do that I get these horrible looking shadows.

http://www.abload.de/thumb/problem5z9s.jpg (http://www.abload.de/image.php?img=problem5z9s.jpg)

I guess I've used way too many polys already, but I don't know how to model these complex shapes with less of them, especially while avoiding triangles. So I guess what I need is tips on how to build a clean mesh and keep it simple. Or maybe there's something else I'm doing horribly wrong?
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

CGTalk Moderation
10 October 2010, 02:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.