View Full Version : transform and point cache tool.

dim1984kimo
10 October 2010, 08:41 AM
hi all,

http://www.xsibase.com/articles.php?detail=122

this article is about using tranform and point cache tool to make a pipeline with max and xsi.

Recently, I use 3dsmax and maya for a project, maya for animation and max for vfx.

Does it have any way for maya to 3dsmax by transform and point cache?

I remember someone has shared maya point cache bebore, but only for maya2008. Now my studio is using maya2010, however, transform cache is still a balckhole problem.

Thanks for help!

shcmack
10 October 2010, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure if this is new to Maya 2011, but the 2011 version of Maya have something called 'Geometry Cache', which bakes the position of each vertex into a cache files.

I think these files should be readable within Max by loading them within Max's 'Point Cache' tool.

By the way, doesn't the FBX export from Maya to Max work?

dim1984kimo
10 October 2010, 03:13 AM
FBX format is great, but only for 80% scene. Sometimes we used cloth(Maya nCloth is great.) or other riggin method(Dynamics Rig with Hair or SpineLine) to animated our charactor. So when I saw xsi to max, I am very exciting on it.

I've told our rig department to change their method to rig, but it's hard to change their pipeline. So I am thinking if I could use that to transfer information to max will promote ours alot.

Thanks for reply!

royg
10 October 2010, 07:42 AM
We have used the geometry cache for animation transfer between max and maya without a hitch for a few years now. It is native to both apps and works great.

dim1984kimo
10 October 2010, 09:51 AM
hi all,

now I have solved this preoblem, thanks to all!

Further more, I wanna export max's point cache file to maya, where should I set in maya, could load point cache file?

Thanks again!

just import it, I solved by myslef, never mind!

CGTalk Moderation
10 October 2010, 09:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.