• Working under the guidance and direction of the Environment, Character and Hard Surface Model Supervisors the Matte Painting Lead is responsible for the creation of paintings for use in digital settings that will satisfy the style and quality of the production.
• Consult with CG Supervisor and Environment, Character and Hard Surface Model Supervisors as to the technical feasibility of elements in the designs and suggest production friendly solutions that will maintain the vision of the film.
• In consultation with the Director, Environment, Character and Hard Surface Model Supervisors assign work to matte painters based on their individual skills and strengths, as needed.
• Responsible for reviewing the work of each matte painter on a regular basis.
• Responsible for leading the overall matte painting schedule, and balancing artistic and productivity requirements, in tandem with production management and Environment, Character and Hard Surface Model Supervisors.
• Participates in the recruiting and staffing of the matte painting team - assesses the work of prospective candidates for the hiring process and works with production management and Environment, Character and Hard Surface Model Supervisors on hiring decisions, as needed.
• Partners with Environment, Character and Hard Surface Model Supervisors and production management to guide artists’ overall professional development, providing performance feedback and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew.
• Attend all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in Computer Graphics, Fine Arts or equivalents having gained a keen knowledge and ability in perspective value matching 35-mm photography.
• Strong traditional art skills including knowledge of color, lighting, perspective, and composition.
• 6+ years work experience required in 3D CG for digital animation or visual effects film.
• Must have extensive knowledge of matte painting techniques and a high proficiency in Photoshop
• Strong knowledge of camera focal lengths, good sense of composition and an understanding of different output requirements.
• Understanding of compositing software and techniques, 3D modeling software and techniques, and knowledge of 3D animation software with regard to creating camera moves and scenes.
• Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and organizational skills required.
• Ability to learn quickly and assimilate new information.
• Attention to detail required.
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse collection of individuals.
• A portfolio demonstrating matte painting experience and traditional art work, together with drawings, paintings, photography, etc.
To apply, click here: https://www.lucasfilm.apply2jobs.com/Pro fExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.show Job&RID=2160&CurrentPage=2