View Full Version : help with normal maps?

09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
hi guys, I have been trying to make some normal maps for some time now, without success, so today I decided to make a test and bake a simple cube with some beveled faces to a simple "low poly" cube.

first, the normal map appears to have errors (red lines) , but I fail to notice what causes them
and second, there are little artifacts that shouldn't be in the map.

these are the two cubes, the low poly cube has been uvmapped (

this is the cube's UV map (

I placed the low poly cube to overlap the high poly cube, and applied a projection modifier, and pushed the cage to contain both models. (

this are the "bake to texture" options I selected (

this is the result of the bake, notice the red lines and that there are pieces missing(the red box was drawn by the renderer, not by me) (

I applied the normal map to the low poly cube, and weird "holes" appear. (

I dont know what else to do, im confused, the tutorials I saw did similar things, but I just can't get it to work properly

any help is appreciated, thanks!

09-14-2010, 02:25 PM

The technique you are using is the more precise but harder one.

The fastest way to create efficient normal maps is by:

--- Unwrap the 3D asset.

--- Create a grayscale bump map.

--- Do not use extreme variations of shades of black and white or the bump mapping will show.

--- Convert the grayscale bump to a normal map using the Nvidia filter in PS or the equivalent in any other 2D package.

--- Apply the normal map to the asset in the Bump Map swatch.

--- Set the strenght of Bump to something around 30, anything under that will be very hard to perceive.

CGTalk Moderation
09-14-2010, 02:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.