View Full Version : baking soft bodies

Tylak
10 October 2003, 06:09 AM
[NOTE: just realized there is a maya dynamics forum.... my bad, I'm sure some kind moderator will put me in my place soon enough. sorry :/ ]

good morning maya junkies,

I'm using softbodies to drive my lava pit. I want it to flow around a little bit so I set up a simulation with a softbody poly plane (the lava) divided around 20 or 30 width/length. I used a -1 dist turbulence field and a goal weight from the original plane topology. The simulation worked great after a little tweaking.

Problem is that I'm trying to render out a 400 frame fly-thru with all sorts of finely tuned lights and shaders workin their butts off and I really need to distribute the render onto multiple machines.

I have never had much luck baking/caching softbodies. How do I go about it? I ran thru the maya docs and did not find what I was looking for. The only clue I have is the [ ] cach data check box under my particle attributes. But that doesn't seem to do that trick as when I scrub thru the siulation I got weird and varied results.

Anyone have a clue? Or some Full Sailors going thru CSE right now?

Thanks

verbal007
10 October 2003, 06:25 AM
If you go under the 'Solvers' menu (Dynamics menuset) there's a 'create particle disk cache'. It's pretty self-explanitory, or there's info in the helpfile about it.

Can't wait to see how everything turns out.

- Jeremy

Tylak
10 October 2003, 07:09 AM
very good my friend, precisely what I was looking for. I just chached all 400 frames (about 35mb of data) and it works perfecty. I'm gonna kick off a render on 3 machines before I leave for class and it should be done when I get back.

minos365
10 October 2003, 05:38 PM
I HAVE A QUESTION

HOW CAN I BAKE SOFTBODY TO BLENDSHAPE

daddyo
09 September 2005, 02:57 AM
I am experiencing a somewhat similar issue. I turned lattices into softbodies, so that I could use fields to animate underlying poly kelp and give it a flowing motion.

It works ok, but the whole setup multiplied my scene size by 4... I was wondering whether

1) I could bake the animation on the lattices into keys, remove the dynamic simulation

or

2) cache the particle animation (I will have to render this pass on several machines)

I have 2 goals, 1) making sure the animation will render smoothly over several machines and 2) trying to reduce the size and complexity of my scene...

Any help would be much appreciated.

azshall
09 September 2005, 03:26 AM
I HAVE A QUESTION

HOW CAN I BAKE SOFTBODY TO BLENDSHAPE

you essentially have to duplicate every single frame of animation .. and make a blend shape between all the duplicates.

it then helps to create a locator with a custom driver attribute with a float value say .... 0-100 ... and then do a set driven key on the blend shape blender node from 0 being 0 on the custom attribute and 1 being 100 on the custom attribute.. this way you can get an extremely smooth blend .. whereas 0-1 .. especially with a lot of surfaces.. can be difficult to get precise numbers.

az

minos365
09 September 2005, 03:38 AM
azshall thank for your help,I will try

CGTalk Moderation
09 September 2005, 03:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.