View Full Version : rip effect in after effects
05 May 2002, 03:32 AM
what is the best way i can do a tear/rip effect in after effects?
Like wolverine just shreaded a layer to reveal text.
06 June 2002, 11:13 PM
sorry, couldn't understand well, would you explain?
06 June 2002, 02:45 PM
r u already try using displacement map effect?
but first of all, u have to make new composition and make a matte, which is black and white, and then u can displacement map it....
hope it helpful...
06 June 2002, 01:42 PM
If you want to make it look like it just went through a paper shredder...you could use masks to make each little shred. It will take a little patience, but you will end up with the result you are looking for.
1. Basically, you have the layer with your original image that you want to shred.
2. Put a rectangular mask over the section of the image that will be the first little shred. (it would be best to start from one side)
3. Duplicate that layer. While you are in the second layer, move the mask over so that it lines up next to where the first mask was in layer 1. Now you should have two layers. Each with their own mask that lines up perfectly to each other.
4. Duplicate the second layer so that now you have three layers. Repeat the previous steps.
You can duplicate all the layers at once, and then just copy and paste one mask to another for postion. Or just duplicate one at a time, so you have the mask from the previous layer already in position.
5. The last step is to animate each layer to fall and bend the way paper would fall.
I hope this has been somewhat helpfull. Animating a Displacement map would also be the way to go to. It just depends on the look you are going for.
01 January 2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.