View Full Version : Extruding along a square? - Maya

CGMad
08 August 2010, 10:52 AM
Hi

I'm currently modeling a wild west town, and I've hit a simple problem, but I haven't been able to figure out a solution. I have exhausted Google and have not been able to find an answer.

I have made a saloon bar, and everything is going fine, but this one stumps me.

I need to make a square window frame, but the pieces themselves need to be circular.

I got it partly to work using the EP Curve Tool, making a square, and extruding a circle along it but the beginning and end points never seem to meet properly, so when I extrude, there is always a gap at one corner of the square.

If anybody knows how to join the points so this does not happen, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Cheers

jaredr
08 August 2010, 04:40 PM
You could just create a torus, but set the divisions to 4, so it becomes a square, while the cross-section will still be circular.

korthuran
08 August 2010, 10:55 PM
Create a long piece in the shape you need. Cut it at a 45 with the cut tool, duplicate, merge together.

Darkherow
08 August 2010, 06:05 PM
could just delete the history on your extruded object, delete the faces at the ends and snap the vertices around the opening together and merge the verts.

CGTalk Moderation
08 August 2010, 06:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.