View Full Version : Pioneer Graphics

09 September 2003, 07:38 PM
I just finished the new Pioneer Graphics site. I was hoping you guys could offer me some feedback on it. Thanks much.

09 September 2003, 10:57 PM
Very cool look.

Just a few crits (professional ones):

1) navigation gets a little awkward in the Portfolio area. Specifially, there are 3 "floating palletes": one for display (on the left), one for explanation (middle), and one for scrolling (right).

Due to the heavy usage of palletes, fields, subfields, icons etc..: your basic navigation gets lost. Even though I know there are plenty of buttons and options, they become "just another element" in your graphic onslaught.

2) Your Action Script is great and creative. Maybe you can execute certain movies at certain intervals to sort out some of the navigation issues (sometimes a certian sequence of builds or animations can hlep clarify what is where and how the user can proceed to certain areas.

I think it is 90% there, with only the remaining 10% left to tweak timing and navigation empahsis. It's a great site and even if you don't have time to tweak, your client got above and beyond what they paid for.

Which remids me: Is this website for you or a client? Is your client a design firm? Did they design the graphics for you? Do you do all the action script or sub contract?

The reason I ask is that as I look at more and more work on these forums (flash kit, etc..) I realize that the majority of the portfolios contain websites designed for agencies. Most agencies insist on designing the sites look, so I have been wondering how much design work these guys can actually claim as there own. Half their portfolios seem to be from jobs subcontracted thru agencies, so I am just wondering how much actual design work most Flash Artists actually contribute.

Nothing wrong with using contracted graphics then scripting/animating according to a clients needs, just wondering who is a one stop shop and who is an animator.


09 September 2003, 11:39 PM
Wow thank you for the very nice critique.

I'm thinking I should go in and fix a few things on the portfolio section to make it a tad clearer. Somebody else mentioned that on another forum too. As you stated, maybe some type of animation would work well.

This site was built for a place I freelance for. So it was for a client and ath the same time my own type of site too you know.


10 October 2003, 12:13 PM
Wow, your work is really slick Slayerment!

The only crits that I have are to do with typography, and even then I'm not sure they're completely objective, but I'll give you them anyway.

The main blocks of text, describing a service for example, don't have a very strong contrast against the blue backdrop, which make them difficult to read.

The buttons and titles/subtitles are very similar in design and format. I found it easy to mistake one for the other.

That's it. Cool site otherwise.

10 October 2003, 01:18 AM
Slayerment, I'm impressed with your site... What Cradle of Filth song is that?

10 October 2003, 07:16 PM
Can I know how you did the dissolving effect for the "loading" logo after the initial loading is done?

10 October 2003, 05:42 AM
Great looking site. There were two little problems that I noticed but I did not check out the whole site. The first was that when I checked out the archives for the desktops it opened into another window, and that was kind of a turn off for me. I personally don't like it when a flash site sends me to seperate windows, it seems like it is not taking advatage of the Flash capabilities. The second was that the background looks like it was actually created in 1024x768 instead of scaling down to fit inside the navigator window, so it leaves a little bit of scroll bars on the right and bottom for unnecessary scrolling, and that just looks like a bad design flaw.

10 October 2003, 12:47 AM
Hey so YOU'RE the one who made the Altered state site.

10 October 2003, 07:35 AM
Aelius - Thanks for the critique. Ill try to make future sites easier to read.

Matt - 'Tearing the Veil From Grace' :)

rkian - That was done in After Effects

jrwells - Good point. Next time I'm working w/ full Flash sites I'll try to do less popups and more content in Flash. Yea... the horizontal scrollbar was a bad mistake... It started out where it fit but I got caught up in the design and didn't change the size of the movie in Flash... now its too late to go back. But I could, however, add an option to open the site in a full screen that would most likely illiminate the horiz scroll. Anyhow, that WONT happen again ;).

Hysteria - Yea, I made it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :).

CGTalk Moderation
01 January 2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.