Lost Adventurer, Aleks Kirilenko (3D)
LC #42 Pipers Alley

View Full Version : Strange artifacts using "Afterburn" Please help

06-27-2010, 03:52 AM
I am wracking my brain here trying to figure out why I am getting unusual artifacts when I am rendering this sequence. I am experiencing extremely long render times, but the quality is still pretty bad, and its causing a strange effect when the sequence is animated. It doesnt look TOO bad on still images, but it creates a very noticeable digital "fuzz" when its animated that makes the whole sequence look terrible. Ive been trying to fix this for days...

The images are being rendered in 720p, the step on the clouds is set to 1. I am thinking this is a shadow/ray issue? Any ideas? Thanks!

Any feedback is appreciated greatly!

06-27-2010, 06:30 AM
I've been having this artifact when my stepping is too low. First, decrease the number of particles you use - try to pull it off with as little particles as possible, this will cut a lot of your render time - then find the right stepping, which is th highest that doesn't give you artifacts.

06-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Thanks, I will hit the drawing boards again and try to reduce the particle count. What step size do you recommend?

06-27-2010, 05:56 PM
It's dependent on your scene scale and sizes, that's why I said - experiment and settle with the biggest one that gives no artifacts.

06-28-2010, 12:50 AM
I cut back the amount of particles, and increased the step, and it reduced the issue to near zero - thanks for your tips!

CGTalk Moderation
06-28-2010, 12:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.